1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. simian

simian Active Member

I recently bought this tie from Henry Carter. I'm trying to think outside navy suit, burgundy shoes. Suggestions about pairing - suit, shirt - would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

That tie is so versatile. You can wear that tie with any suit colour except for brown. Same for odd jackets. Light blue shirts will look best, but slightly darker blue or white is fine too. A pale pink can work too, but a bit more tricky. When it comes to shoes medium brown, dark brown would work best, and tan sometimes. Black and navy shoes very, very rarely. Best to avoid with this tie.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

You can wear it with brown as well, provided the jacket is dark enough. The tie is a little less brown IRL.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  4. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yup, congrats simian, you've just got yourself the closest thing to a One Tie[​IMG] that you can find.

2 people like this.
  5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Indeed.

---

DB looks good to me, Elio.

1 person likes this.
  6. bmwahba39

bmwahba39 Well-Known Member

7. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

"Wells" is the model name of that shoe.

8. bmwahba39

Are the Wells a good shoe? How do they differ in comparison to loake aldwych?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  9. mimo

mimo Senior member

I have a pair of shoes from Andrew Lock, and they're fine. Goodyear welted, made in Spain, similar quality to the basic Loakes I linked. By coincidence, I'm wearing them today. But I'd take that sale if I were you: the Loake last looks nicer and they're cheaper for now.

10. ajc2162

ajc2162 Senior member

Yes I agree that you've done well at that price. I don't know the wells model but the Loake 1880 range is generally well-regarded as solid quality and good-looking shoes.

I have a few myself including the Aldwych in dark brown; so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

11. bmwahba39

Ok great, I was just having trouble finding the wells model online, no searches show up anything under that name. It looks a lot like the Aldwych to me though.

12. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

13. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Why? They're part of the fun.

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. sugarbutch

BTW, I went to SuSu, and the prices were about the same as in the US.

16. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

[​IMG]

17. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Unless they've upped their prices in the last week, it's a big difference. You know about the big move in FX over the past 6 months, right?

299 euros for a suit is 340 USD, while that suit in the US is $599. I'd say that's a big difference. The same thing goes for all their knitwear and accessores.

Hell, you can get a fully canvassed MTM suit made for the same price an OTR suit would be in the US/UK at suitsupply. They'll ship it to your local store as well for final adjustments, which is what I did.

My MTM suit ended up costing £640, while their fully canvased RTW La Spalla line is £699 in the UK/$999 in the US. So I got a suit that's MTM, with a nicer fabric, and all the details I like, for less than what a RTW suit from SuSu would cost me in the UK. I saved about £350 on that suit, which is pretty nice.

Sounds like you had spent a bit too much time in the coffeeshops before going to suitsupply.

18. sugarbutch

I guess I didn't look at the right suits. The one I used for comparison was 399 euro and $499. I confess that I didn't perform an in-depth comparison because I had little intention to buy.

19. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

The 399 ones will be 600+ or even more expensive. Anyways, it doesn't matter. Hope you had a good time in Amsterdam!

As much as I like London, I do miss how laid back my hometown is, which is why I go back for a weekend every 2 months or so. It helps that the flights are very cheap, and with the strong sterling going out for dinner and drinks is so cheap that it more than makes up for the cost of the flight.

1 person likes this.
  20. sugarbutch

It's a fantastic city. If I could easily visit, I would certainly do so.

1 person likes this.