1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. AJL

AJL Senior member

Thanks (still wondering if it's worth trying out that slightly more substantial pair, just for comparison's sake...)

ot- looks like Pat & Co. did a decent job on your Formosa. I had to go back and have mine "tidied up" a bit, and you were right about the length thing; I had to bring a few pairs of pants and a SC back to be re-shortened, and still not sure if they're good enough. I think some tailors get stuck on what they think is appropriate and have a hard time getting past that.

2. AJL

AJL Senior member

This is essentially what I shoot for.

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

That's why you have it pinned exactly where you want it, and possibly even measure the distance. Try on your trousers again when you pick it up. If it's not where you pinned it, ask them to correct it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  4. bmwahba39

bmwahba39 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, does this tie work on a navy suit with walnut strands?
    My only concern is that small strips of black on this tie.
    [​IMG]

5. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I don't think it's possible to do a slanted break with a cuff ie longer in the back than the front due to the seam of the cuff. I think you can only do it if it's plain bottom.

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

No, needs black shoes.

7. bmwahba39

isn't it very bad to go Navy and black though?

8. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Quite the contrary, navy and black is a very classic and formal combination. Black ties look great with navy suits, as do black shoes. Looks great during the day, and even better at night.

Seeing as your tie is silver with black, black shoes would be the only option. Perhaps a dark oxblood or navy would work as well.

9. bmwahba39

alrighty. I'll go ahead and try to find some black cap toes. Any recommendations for around $150? Perhaps used Park Avenue?I do have a pair of oxblood that I could try perhaps?

1 person likes this.
  10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Noodles, that does not look like a full break to me.

11. mimo

mimo Senior member

Here you go. Nice last, proper calf, bang on budget in the sale, and they are very helpful people to deal with for shipping/sizing etc.

12. bmwahba39

I'm located in U.S, preferably looking for something within the states

13. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

It's called a 'military hem', at least in the US. 5/8 inch is more typical. I get most of my trousers hemmed this way these days if I can find the time.

Cheers,

Ac

14. mimo

mimo Senior member

I figured, but be brave. There is a whole world out there. And they make shoes. :)

Seriously, these people ship to the US a lot - and they'll use EMS/USPS too, so less chance of getting hit with taxes.

Otherwise, www.shoebank.com

15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Anyone have any recs for sizing from UK size for AS? Is a 7E an 8E US? 5 lasted AE's if that helps.

I'm also a 7.5E on CJ chiltern and tetoury.

16. mimo

mimo Senior member

E in US is wide.

E in UK is either narrow or medium:

E = narrow: Grenson, Church's, Loake, Barker, Cheaney, Alfred Sargeant. So F is normal, wide is G. Vass also use this system, btw.

E = medium: G&G, John Lobb, Edward Green, Crockett & Jones. So F is wide, G would be extra wide. Except John Lobb use "EE" for wide.

Tricker's use numbers - 5 being medium. Because they do what they want.

If you're a US 8E i.e. slightly wide, a standard width size 7 from AS, Grenson, Loake or Barker might be OK, depending on the last. I'd suggest contacting your expert retailer and asking: if you're wide only in the forefoot, or all the way over, and which shoe you're buying, will all make a difference.

1 person likes this.
  17. TomOwen

TomOwen Well-Known Member

AS uses F as its standard width. So a 7F would be an 8D in the US. I would probably suggest you go with 7.5F for AS, especially if you wear 7.5E on the C&J Tetbury.

I'm currently wearing a pair of C&J Tetbury from Barney's that is marked as 8D, and I wear 7F on the 87 last for AS, if that helps.

1 person likes this.
  18. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

19. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

MF, from what I understand, even cuffed pants can have a back end that is longer than the front-end. However, I am pretty sure that it's really much more of a reality it when the pants are originally made that way.

1 person likes this.
  20. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Ha, I knew you wouldn't like it! You prefer your gorge to be high, isn't it?
    Slightly better shot. Though I like it that the low gorge creates an illusion of height, I'm not convinced about the overall silhouette. It's too blocky for my taste and perhaps a tad too short? Or maybe I'm just not used to DB yet...
    Obviously I have to let out the sleeves and exchange the buttons. It's definitely true blazer fabric (serge), but the buttons are too suitish, I think.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.