Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. tattoodobem

tattoodobem Well-Known Member

Current President of Portugal.
    Colors are a bit diferent from my tv shirt looks blue not white.
    What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The super-high-contrast shirt/tie thing again... It is not the end all be all. Low contrast is very nice too. I'm with Patrick on that grey tie. It's a keeper

3. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

:) thanks for your input.

What do you think of the DB? Still off? Does the overcoat look really bad? The upper sleeve seems way too big to me, and the shoulders too padded. I guess the tailor wanted more room in case the jacket is bulky. My spouse likes it but you guys know I'm obsessed with having things too slim.

4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

It may not be the end all be all--I like a good low contrast look--but for a guy who is still working on building a tie rotation and still learning how to use what he already has, a tie which is limited to low contrast looks isn't a good choice. Easy to use and versatile is the name of the game now.

I myself do prefer high contrast looks, and I realize this is a preference born of my distaste for wearing suits (a context in which I think low contrast works best).

5. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I see what you did there....
    FWIW, there may not be so many combo's in which you can use a tie like that, but is that so bad? I'm getting a bit tired of that 'must be versatile' mantra. Sure, if you're just starting out and talking about suits or shoes, it's smarter to get versatile items. But when picking up ties cheap during sales? Just get what you like and if you can only wear it a handful of times so much the better: you have an excuse to get more.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

He can get versatile ties that he'll be comfortable using with many outfits - and also get ties that speak to him and he'll use less often. Not mutually exclusive approaches. The name of the game with ties is not to optimize capacity utilization of each tie - that sucks all the fun out of wearing ties and enjoying coming up with new combinations. Having a tie that is really tasteful and that you love wearing, but only get to wear 5 times a year can still provide a lot of enjoyment.

All that said, that grey striped tie would look absolutely boss with the sans-tie DB outift Isolation just posted above. It would clearly be the best choice out of the ties shown in the group pic, for that outfit.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015

7. Claghorn

Plenty of truth in that. Especially with regards to low investment items, like ties and squares, and wardrobe building. But from an education standpoint, learning how to use one easy item in several ways is more edifying than using one difficult item in a single way.

It depends on where you are in the process of learning how to dress the way you want to dress. I personally don't think Isolation is there yet. Y'all can disagree with me on that or with the premise (that starting out, the focus should be on figuring out how to use a few things well...which is plenty fun...though then again, I'm the guy with like 50 blue jackets).

And given the price, yeah, there's no real need to return an item that cheap.

8. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I do think it's important to have versatile piece, and rest assured that's a big part of my attitude in buying things, the other being trying to fill in things that I don't have, which, recently, had been to get more navy jackets. For instance the db suit I had got I picked because I felt like both pieces (jacket and trousers) can be used separately, and I picked them in a navy and grey where they'd be semi useful in those places. I picked a bunch of trousers in neutral colors that I felt would be useful with a lot of the jackets I already have.

I felt like a light gray textured tie is something I missed as usually I'd be forced to fill in with a dark navy knit, which is good, but I think there are times where I don't want so dark a tie, or simply because if I do that I'll end up with a dark knit tie 80% of the time because honestly I really do love knit ties.

9. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I think ties/squares are an exception to this rule. I can easily see this for tailored clothes and shoes, but I don't think it covers every approach to shirts, and I think there's a certain point where it breaks down for furnishings and accessories.

I think it's wiser, of course, to spend on versatile items, but splitting off a relatively small chunk of the budget for something limited is far from a bad idea. Of course, it requires a bit of a deviation from "buy less, buy better," but I regard those purchases as "proof of concept" -- "do I like this enough to buy a nicer version?"

Of course, this could be the last light gray tie Iso buys, and something that hardly ever gets worn. But if it is, better to have bought a cheap one "out of order" than to have bought an expensive one once the basics are covered.

10. Claghorn

A couple low contrast looks I like, one odd jacket and one suit.

[​IMG]
    The tie is snuggled nicely amidst the jacket, shirt, and the pants in terms of contrast.

[​IMG]

I also recently sold a light gray cashmere tie to @mrjester that he recently made work wonderfully. Don't have the picture on hand.

11. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

You remind me of a Korean comedian. [​IMG]

12. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I hope it's not because I strike you as the kind of person who'd wear tailored jackets with t-shirts.

fwiw if I wear that tie 6 times this year it won't be too bad considering I probably wear ties 40 times last year.

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I like the gray and navy tie.

14. jfrater

jfrater Senior member

Hi all - I was recommended to this forum to get advice on my wardrobe. I am just starting out but have loads of ties, suits, shirts, shoes, etc. This is what I wore today. It was suggested I change the pocket square as it was too matchy and the result is at the bottom. May I ask for some thoughts and suggestions?

The big picture:

[​IMG]

Up close:

[​IMG]

New Pocket square - navy and green.

[​IMG]

15. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Nice start, JFrater--your suit fits well, and I like your tie knot and think the tie itself is a pretty good choice here.

I think if you want to pair a patterned shirt with a conservative suit--and they don't get more conservative than a gray pinstripe--you really want a white linen pocket square. Almost anything else is going to be loud to the point of jarring in this combination.