1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Cleav

Cleav Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored Moderator

2. Isolation

Isolation Distinguished Member

The square is actually navy with hints of dark purple, charcoal, and olive in the paisey.

Why is that tie color not useful? I was thinking it could go well with a brown/charcoal jacket. Just wondering generally about ties for that color.

I'll probably go by the shop some time, I'll see if I can swap it for a different one, since it was multibuy discount, but it might be tough since the selection is mostly filled with awful ties.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015

3. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

That tie is the best piece.

4. Isolation

Debate in the noodles thread!

5. YRR92

YRR92 Distinguished Member

I like the wooly gray tie, and the darker square, but they're not super versatile.

Question for the thread: cool weather, medium tan wool trousers that will keep a nice crease. Cav twill, whipcord, or tan flannel?

6. heldentenor

heldentenor Distinguished Member

Cavalry twill. Super comfortable, underrated, and a nice contrast if most of your fall-winter trousers are already flannels.

7. Isolation

Well fwiw it only costs 20 extra because of the discount, I kinda think they are good in some scenarios and I don't have similar.

Anyway someone asked me for photos of an overcoat so I thought I'd crosspost here for comments, including pictures of my flannel DB:
    Quote:

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

The question isn't "do I like the way X looks?" The question needs to be "will I like the way X looks when worn? Will others, unbiased, like the way X looks when worn?" That gray tie is nice. No question there. But it is only nice in isolation. It is so light that it will only really work against a white shirt. And the contrast between the shirt and tie will be too little, and that between the shirt and jacket too great, that it won't look good. Ideally, you don't want a giant difference between the degree of the two contrasts. But you're going to get it with that tie.

9. Isolation

Those are good points. Do you not think it'd work with a white/off-white/lightcream shirt and a solid chocolate SC? That's something I have in hopsacck and linen and how I imagined wearing it. I also thought it might work with my charcoal gunclub. Those seems to contrast with the tie while still working with a light shirt.

10. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Why the heck is everyone arguing here on the first day of 2015???

I friggin don't understand why we don't get tomorrow off....

I am not much of a tie person. I don't see "I need to have that!" Kind of ties.

11. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

1. It will look great with a white (or light blue) shirt and mid-gray suit.
    2. It will look great under a sweater worn over heavy chinos, moleskins, or flannels.
    3. I get the point that in this thread something needs to be universally versatile to not confuse those that need the most help. With that framework, I agree, it isn't the best tie.

12. Isolation

Ah yes I forgot, I think it'd look great under sweaters too.

13. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Distinguished Member

Don't tease us with headless shots Iso - enquiring minds want to know if you're still sporting that egregious pudding bowl haircut or not. If not, these pics look very creditable but any points attained with these decent looking threads will be negated if you are still the Asian Bieber. :D

14. Isolation

It's worse than last time:

[​IMG]

In my defense I had a hairdresser's appointment on new year's eve but they had to cancel.

Speaking of which, I think the way the clothes were packed has ruined some of the shaping of the suit, especially the lapel roll =[ what to do? Try with iron?

15. YRR92

YRR92 Distinguished Member

While I think this is a well-made case, I'm especially fond of a white or off white shirt, a very light-colored repp tie, and a navy blazer. I also think a light-colored, low-contrast shirt and tie can look good under a dark suit. especially a DB or three-piece.

[​IMG]