1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Has anyone with Sam Hober grenadine tie(s) experienced a bit of "softening" of the tie after a year or two?
    When you first get them, they're as firm as my morning wood but my first Sam Hober is softening now.

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Yes and thy will stretch a little with time. It's just the nature of the weave.

3. Academic2

Academic2 Distinguished Member

If one has never before bought a custom tie, buying one’s first tie from Hober is an educational experience, with no extra cost: thinking about ideal length, width, and structure for the first time with David’s expert advice to guide you makes these ties an even greater bargain.

As for ordering multiple ties at once, it’s possible that some people will want to consider the implications for customs duties, depending upon where they live.

Cheers,

Ac

4. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I think it is best to look at the pictures on Sam Hober's website in order to get an idea of the real color. The colors on the website (where you order) could be quite deceiving. I thought I was ordering a burgundy and got a red red red tie.

I like my ties stiff so I think I am going to replace my softening ties.

5. Academic2

The Hober Appreciation thread is a goldmine for those who want to see what the ties look like in real life. Highly recommended.

Cheers,

Ac

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

7. EFV

EFV Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Happy New Year guys!

I just wanted to say that I've thoroughly enjoyed following, and sometimes participating, in the discussions of this thread during 2014.

8. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Distinguished Member

For those considering Hobers, I would suggest getting the swatch packs. It only takes ~1 week to receive from Thailand to the US

9. mdancel

mdancel Senior Member

Okay I'm leaning towards Hober now and will save the KW gift certificate for maybe a MTM suit with him.

So Grossa or Fina? Is there a rule of thumb of when one might be better than the other?

Also, anyone know off hand what is typical shipping and customs and any other charges to the US? I don't need them fast would be willing to wait if more economical.

10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

Grossa and fina are both great. Grossa has a much more noticeable texture while fina is more subtle. Depends on your taste.

11. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

So today my wife, who previously said that all my Formosa suits made me looked like a kid wearing his dad's big boxy suit, said that the P.o.W. suit was not only the best looking suit she's seen in person but looked really great on me.

Don't understand why she cannot say the same for the other two.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

12. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Distinguished Member

^ Take your victories as they come.

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

Things change with age.

14. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

Happy New Year everyone!

15. Academic2

I'm in the US. Shipping charges will be detailed on their website. I've only bought one at a time, and this may be why I've not been hit with any customs charges. Hearsay has it that so long as the shipping label values the contents at less than 200 USD you're not likely to get his with a charge. I have no authority for that number, however; it's just one that's been floating around here for awhile.

You might consider posting a query over on the previously mentioned Hober Appreciation thread.

Cheers,

Ac