1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Isolation

Isolation Distinguished Member

Thanks! I think we'll call up to see if they have some 32rs, then take a trip and see how it fits. Price seems decent.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Dude, dont get me wrong, the offer was very generous and those are better than a lot of what was posted. I wouldnt even say they are bad, just not my steez.

We are lucky that they allow us to be married to them!

3. mrjester

mrjester Distinguished Member

Finally sporting that cashmere/wool Vanda...

xpost HOF. Second pic shows best color.

Get it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

I know a guy that'd probably wear the red pindot one if no one else wants to love it.

5. LoKey

LoKey Senior Member

PSA and question:

Skoaktiebolaget is having a January discount that removes MTO fees for Enzo Bonafe footwear. I'm planning to order my first pair from them, but then I ran into a gorgeous boot that they already have in stock. I'm unsure of this boot's versatility and would love to hear your pairing suggestions for trousers/denims.

(photo from SF via Shoe Snob)
    [​IMG]

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Distinguished Member

The color is fantastic. I would not care about the versatility because the green part would be covered most of the times by the trousers (only exposed maybe when you sit). But I don't know about pairing it with denim. If I'm not mistaken are these balmoral boots? What I mean is, they will look like if you are wearing oxfords with denim. Which I think is not coherent.I could be wrong.

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Distinguished Member

Not a fan of the wingtip on those. Color is rad though.

8. MRMstl

MRMstl Senior Member

I think those are disturbingly gorgeous and tried to get my own pair but they were out of my size.

My $.02 is that you can wear them with anything that you would wear that color brown wingtip with. The green shaft makes them less formal than they would be otherwise, but from a matching perspective the green suede doesn't hinder you at all IMO.

I would absolutely pair them with a pair of "dressy" denim and sport coat or cardigan. Don't let the (dark) green shaft limit you.

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

Not very versatile. The closed lacing and no brogueing means it's only for wearing with suits. Now, most (including myself) ignore this rule, but it still means these boots would mainly be for the nicer odd jacket and trouser fits, and certainly not with denim (an open laced and brogued boot with a heavy sole would be appropriate for denim). What other kind of shoes/boots do you have already? These boots would be a nice addition when you already have a solid rotation, of let's say, 5-6 shoes and a more versatile pair of boots.

You could wear something like this with denim and odd jackets/trousers, which means it would be much more versatile.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

10. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I mean...kind of yes, but also a lot of no. If your aim with dressing is to be stylish but understated, these boots are most definitely not for you. However you defend them to the many comments of "whoa cool boots, those are fancy!" will not mitigate the dandified impression that they'll make on most people. That's not to discourage you from getting them, or even to say that they're not versatile in the sense of being compatible with a wide range of different outfits. But no matter what you wear them with, they will be fancy boots.

11. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

At least you guys aren't checking sf updates in the bathroom. Could be worse!

12. LoKey

LoKey Senior Member

Thanks for all the feedback! It sounds like that most of the suggestions are to pair it for "dressier" fits ranging from suits to odd trousers/jackets rather than with casual fits. That makes sense to me.

@Monkeyface :, Great question. I still have a staple or two to add in to my rotation, but I'm sitting at around 6 shoes and 4 boots ( unlined snuff suede chukka, a mid brown grained leather tanker, merlot calf leather cap toe derby, and a grain leather cap toe derby). I'm looking for something that I can wear in Boston winters with salted sidewalks. I hardly ever wear suits but frequently wear odd jackets with and without ties. Trousers are generally flannels, tweeds, and twill. Since I wear boots 3 or 4 days a week during winter, I'd like to have a decent rotation but want to keep it to 5, no more than 6 boots. Hence the question about versatility.

@unbelragazzo : "Fancy Boots" is an apt label for them. I generally lean towards understated because of my line of work but I have a small corner in my wardrobe for dandier alternatives. I've been looking for two toned boots but the contrast on these is quite stark. I'll have to sit on it for a few more days.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

13. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Great boot. Is that C&J?

14. in stitches

Whats up, MR. FANCY BOOTS!!??

I just like the sound of that.

15. in stitches

I think yes, its the Islay?