Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

@noodles , there is a special joy in buying a quality good and using it so much that you eventually wear it out. Whether it be a jacket, tie, shoes or favorite shirt, I have certain items I look at and think, "that was a really good purchase" based on how often I use it. If it's worn out in four or five years, I'll get another one then, knowing how much I enjoyed it and that it is worth the money because I extracted every last ounce of value out of it.

Conversely, if I were to look at a suit in my closet five years later and know I wore it only 40-50 times, I would be inclined to deem it a bad purchase, something that was so expensive and delicate that I never wore it enough to get value out of it.

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

This user is also over 50 years old. Please keep that in mind.

As a always, I advocate Suit Supply for good beaters.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Lands End (true story!), but they change out their stock fairly frequently, so if I see something I like, I buy in bulk. Mostly in @NOBD-approved navy.

[​IMG]

4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

So do I. You will never get an honest answer.

Here are the answers you'll actually get:

"My main weakness is that I'm just too kind and considerate."

"My main weakness is my tendency to dedicate myself too single-mindedly to performing well at my job."

"My main weakness is my love for model trains."

And here are the true answers:

"My main weakness is that I'm an alcoholic."

"My main weakness is my extreme laziness which I cover up by undermining the staff around me to make it look like their fault."

"My main weakness is that I'm actually a North Korean field agent whose ultimate goal is to infiltrate your IT systems and steal all your company's secrets."

5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Good plan. So:

Put cedar balls in your wardrobe.
    Don't wear the jackets while driving or sitting in a car. Drape them across the back seat instead, or hang them from the hook on the B pillar.
    Air them out regularly, but not in direct sunlight (except for a few short minutes - UV light will have some antibacterial/antifungal benefit).
    Never hang them inside plastic bags in your wardrobe. Worst thing you can do.
    Learn how to fold them correctly for travel.
    Don't dry clean them too often, and if having them pressed, use a place that's been recommended on SF or by a trusted industry insider.

...and...

Wear them frequently. Love them. Look bawwss.

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Never?
    I look for people who can see and admit that they have weaknesses. This is a sign that they are more likely to accept constructive criticisms.
    People will say that their weakness is something like what you say. But some people will be frank.
    I want people who know themselves and are willing to admit their shortfalls so that we can work on improving them

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I get this in theory, but even a lot of self-aware people assume too frank of an answer will be used against them.

8. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

My biggest weakness is that I'm way too fucking awesome for this shitty job, which, if I stoop to accept it, will soon foster resentment in me and jealousy in others.

However, your company will benefit enormously from my presence, during the short time it takes for me to find a position whose remuneration better matches my exceptional gifts.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014

9. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Everyone going to an interview knows that. So they'll admit to having some not so harmful weakness to make a good impression, while hiding those weaknesses that really matter.

10. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

What Elio said + people are usually not even aware of some of their major flaws.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014

11. mdancel

mdancel Well-Known Member

This sounds like a plan to accelerate the wearing out of the old suits to make room for more Formosa's :)

12. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

So I think I'm giving up largely on cotton casual pants except for denim.

Tweedy wool in the fall/winter, big cuffs with chunky boots or chukkas, and slouchy linen in the summer. I might tolerate some cotton in the spring, or better some wool/linen mixes, light weight. I have a pair in the latter which stays crisp, but has appropriate texture.

Cotton just can't seem to hold its shape, stretching etc. especially at the seat and at the knees. I'm not finding this so much of a problem with linen, which wrinkles in a way that makes me not care and should be worn a little baggier to help heat dissipate.

Thoughts?

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Moleskins and corduroy trousers are awesome. I can't imagine replacing them with tweed odd trousers. I'd prefer just wearing flannel all the time.

14. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

You stole my exact response.

15. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Howard yount had a nice salt and pepper donegal and a very fine herringbone might be nice as well. Flannel too would be ok though it also Has some of the malleability of cotton.

I do have some cords that are holding up well despite sitting and standing up.