Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I think the main reason the Eyetalians haven't put up webstores yet is because they supply to the large brands in large quantities. BB, SuitSupply, JCrew etc

The top English mills, not at all. They mainly supply to tailors

But I still think the Italians are of similar quantity

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

That was a fun post to read, Clags. If it wasn't midnight and I wasn't posting from my phone I would reply with greater detail. Perhaps tomorrow.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Noodles, given my preferences, why go Formosa over Suit Supply? There are many things I will get from NMWA over the next several years, but when I have a reasonably priced alternative for RTW, why would I? Do I think Formosa looks better than SS? Absolutely. Does it fit better off the rack, I don't know. But the Havana fits well enough that the difference would be negligible if Formosa fits flawlessly. Is there a difference in quality? Absolutely. Huge difference I'm sure. But, as I said, after you move past Suit Supply, diminishing marginal returns sets in quite rapidly. Difference in prestige? Definitely. But given my fondness for BR/JC, that's probably not going to matter to me.

(Yes, I am enjoying this)

4. in stitches

Not everyone appreciates clothing in the way you do. The same way you so eloquently explained the way in which you enjoy clothing, and how that explains some of your idiosyncrasies, other people have their own idiosyncrasies, and expecting that they would approach things the same way you do, considering things like diminishing returns and evaluating how marginal or not marginal the quality of one item is over another, is erroneous.

Dress and let dress.

5. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I prefer the bolder one. No, those aren't the ones I meant. Google image huntsman house tweeds and more should pop up.

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

All very well said and I feel similarly. I have a "good enough" level for tailoring and clothing and care more about generally looking good than having things from the most prestigious places on the planet. I've had a lot of fun learning how to combine different pieces and learning what is important to make a particular garment look good. I am certainly not the best dressed man in Chicago, but I am definitely dressed better than 95% or more of people I see around the city. I know how to be "on" when I am going to a black tie event or an event where I need to / want to wear a suit or odd jacket and tie, but I am fine meeting a friend at a bar dressed somewhat casually too and don't see any issue or contradiction there.

Though now that I feel I have enough CM pieces for my needs, I am starting to acquire more of an interest in high quality casual items for F/W. Polos are easy enough when the weather is warm, but I think nice sweaters are a must for casualwear in a place like Chicago.

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Quote:Yeah. But we were talking about me buying a Formosa. ^_^
    I wasn't suggesting that anyone else forego the pleasure of wearing such a fine garment.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014

8. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Clags knows what he wants with his look and he succeeds with the pieces he uses, and I think that's what's important.

Noodles gets significantly better results from Formosa than his other attempts so he prefers it, and it makes sense for him. Same May not be true for Clags.

Also I really really love Clags blue jackets, it's inspired me many a time (the DB for instance), so variation being good aside, Clag's love for blue seems completely reasonable.

9. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

The other advantage of Formosa MTO for Noodles, besides being able to pick cloth, is that it lets him get into the customization of some of the features of the jacket i.e.,

single breasted vs. double breasted
    type of shoulder (camicia, morbida, etc.)
    types of pockets (flapped, besom (jetted), patch, patch flap
    breast pockets (welted, patch, barchetta, etc)
    types of jacket linings
    interior pockets
    button types (mother of pearl, horn, etc.)

he doesn't have to be a bespoke expert to understand how the garment should fit perfectly, etc. but he gets some of the fun of customization as well learns about different features of a jacket

10. in stitches

Whatchutalkinboutwillis

11. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Noodlers, large dump of drake's ties at Barneys (about 50 dollars per tie). Not a lot of great stuff, but some silk/linen solids (the brown is the one that jumps out). A navy gingham I was tempted by, but the pattern is larger than I would like. A few decent neats.

http://www.barneyswarehouse.com/barneys-new-york/?start=48&q=drake's&sz=48#

Let me know what you pick up...curious.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014

12. in stitches

A few of them spoke to me, but none of them sang to me. No kops made. Thanks for the link tho, Tweedy.

13. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Nice link TP, interesting...

Coincidentally Drakes having their three day sale at Haberdasher Street. Shame I'm not in town this week!

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Here are the best ones IMO.

Good starters if you don't already own something similar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And if you like the whole abstract print thing

[​IMG]

15. in stitches

Changed my mind. Kopped brown slubby. :)