1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

I really like option #2.

2. rms340

rms340 Senior member

Hey Noodlers -

I'll be attending a wedding next month and was planning on wearing this suit and probably this shirt:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The suit is a linen mix. Is the shirt optimal? If it is, what would be a good tie + PS combo? Thanks!

Edit: Uploaded the wrong picture.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

@rms340, I don't love the shirt there. It's okay but I feel like a lighter blue solid or semi-solid is a better choice. As far as ties are concerned, brown, burgundy, dark blue and dark green all come to mind. I think a dark tie is a good option when the suit and shirt are both light in color.

4. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Is it a casual wedding? That whole outfit strikes me as quite casual.

5. kulata

kulata Senior member

@rms340 I'd pass on that shirt. Look for a very pale blue shirt with no pattern or a white shirt. As for ties, it depends on if the type of wedding. I'd be tempted to a wear chocolate suede shoes with that suit and any dark tie like @archibaldleach suggested

6. mimo

mimo Senior member

1 person likes this.
  7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's my favorite tie HC is currently carrying.

8. rms340

rms340 Senior member

Is it the cut of the suit that makes the fit look casual? Or is it the suit + shirt choice? The wedding won't be a casual wedding.

My reasoning for the shirt is that from a distance it looks like a saturated blue and I thought it may be a good contrast against the pale beige linen. I guess I was wrong with the pick. I'll try to get a picture with another blue shirt that I have.

Am I aiming for solid ties in that color, or would a neat print work also?

9. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

10. kulata

kulata Senior member

You can do a solid tie and go for this look

[​IMG]
    It's definitely not a traditional wedding look but you know that already. The suit is very casual.

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ignore the details, just look at the palette. This is the best look for a tan summer suit, IMO:

[​IMG]

12. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

It looks great. But this is where lighter color and pastel ties really shine. A light blue or peach tie with a tan summer suit is very refreshing. A candy striped cotton tie is also very cool.

7 people like this.
  13. simian

simian Active Member

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Oops.

15. bmwahba39

bmwahba39 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm going to prom this year with a girl whose dress color is champagne.
    I've decided I would wear my Navy suit and keep it timeless and classic as opposed to last years tuxedo rental which was just tacky.
    I need help coordinating the colors here. I think I am going to go with this shirt: (lilac in color)
    http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men%27s-shirts/view-all/Lilac-twill-puppytooth-non--iron-extra-slim-fit-shirt?q=gbpdefault%7C%7Crk032llc%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C1861,%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C

It's a nice lavender color which isn't quite pink which I think will complement the champagne of her dress quite nicely. But now I need help with two items:
    • Tie
    • Pocket Square
    What colors would you guys think would look best paired with this shirt + her dress? I don't want to match her really, I just want to complement her.
    Perhaps a dark burgundy tie with a brown pocket square?
    Any tips would be great, I really want to nail this outfit spot on!

16. rms340

rms340 Senior member

Did I already know that? You may be giving me too much credit.

That's a black knit tie, right? So it would be worn with black shoes?

Hmm I never thought of that. Would the lighter color ties work with a solid light blue and/or white shirt?

Thank you guys for all the help thus far!

17. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

18. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just wanted to second gdl's suggestion for something in pastel. There aren't many opportunities to wear pastel ties well, but this is definitely one of them and should be grasped as such. White shirt is probably safest, but blue is doable.

Do you have any good pastel ties? If it isn't something you see yourself wearing too often, I wouldn't spend too much on one. On the other hand, one should never buy a crappy tie. With the strong dollar, this linen silk blend from Henry Carter should fit the bill.
    [​IMG]

19. bmwahba39

bmwahba39 Well-Known Member

I am fully aware that matching a girls prom dress is completely tacky, hence the reason I am not going with a champagne tie and pocket square. I am mainly asking for advice on color combos for that shirt in regards to a tie and pocket square, while keeping in mind that my dates dress is champagne in color.

Also, how exactly is that an awful shirt? I think that many would agree that the pink-lilac range of shirts look great with almost anything, and a nice departure from the more common blue.

20. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Prom- Don't match you date.

[​IMG]

Why not rent a white dinner jacket? Classic. Goes with anything she wears. You won't have to hide your photos from your kids out of embarrassment when you get older.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.