• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can you inform me on what determines good or poor horizontal twill? I don't see any threads on that.

I'm not sure if there is a good horizontal twill, but the rows are far too thick in that one that you pictured, that is the main problem with it.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
kira, the problem IMO starts with the shirts you've selected. Both are too saturated, and the peach/pink is just not very versatile.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with SB. Picking out ties to go with a shirt versus ties that look good in general is a mistake.

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not start with a few plain grenadine and knit basics? Navy, dark brown, silver / grey, burgundy, black (knit or grenadine) etc?

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
navy reppe silk...the one tie everyone should own.

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I do think you’re being very smart in selecting ties on the basis of how well you think they would work with other items in your wardrobe (a lesson it takes everyone some time to learn), I wonder if you might not be better off thinking more about how well they would work with your suits and jackets (and the contexts in which you typically wear these, of course) and less about how well they would work with a a couple of shirts.

Just being cold-bloodedly practical.
smile.gif

Cheers,

Ac

Kira

Reaction score
kira, the problem IMO starts with the shirts you've selected. Both are too saturated, and the peach/pink is just not very versatile.

Agree with SB. Picking out ties to go with a shirt versus ties that look good in general is a mistake.

Interesting and reasonable opinions. I did not consider the whole look, but rather from two pieces.

EDIT: When I order more shirts, I'll be sure to not do this again. There's always room for improvement!
Why not start with a few plain grenadine and knit basics? Navy, dark brown, silver / grey, burgundy, black (knit or grenadine) etc?

Ha! I barely saw any of those solid colors! I'm on the lookout for them though.
navy reppe silk...the one tie everyone should own.

+1

While I do think you’re being very smart in selecting ties on the basis of how well you think they would work with other items in your wardrobe (a lesson it takes everyone some time to learn), I wonder if you might not be better off thinking more about how well they would work with your suits and jackets (and the contexts in which you typically wear these, of course) and less about how well they would work with a a couple of shirts.

Just being cold-bloodedly practical.
smile.gif

Cheers,

Ac
+1

Thanks for the honest opinions, gentlemen. I'll be sure to consider these responses and search other threads while I look around for more ties!

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Kira, I think you misunderstood the homework assignment ^^

Ten ties you'd like to own. This meant for each tie, you'd still own the other nine. I'm sure that you wouldn't want 10 navy ties.

The variety helps us understand your tastes (consistent preferences across different ties); it also makes for a more edifying exercise.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Noodles, Billy Reid is decent stuff...typical Nordstrom type quality level. Alpaca is a cool fabric. The sweater fits you really well.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
Thx murl.
I am quite surprised at its price given its quality. It's good. Wife gave me this as my birthday present. Now if I can get her to buy me the P.o.W suit...

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today was a good dress up day. Work holiday party.

I wore a 3 piece navy suit with a pink shirt and the green with white pindot tie. Looked awesome. Only have a ****** cell phone bathroom mirror pic :/

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Today was a good dress up day. Work holiday party.

I wore a 3 piece navy suit with a pink shirt and the green with white pindot tie. Looked awesome. Only have a ****** cell phone bathroom mirror pic :/

So post your ****** pic already.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads