1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

If you eat like a pig, hit the gym everyday. You don't drink so you have that going for you when it comes to keeping weight off.

2. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

Luckily, Seoul and other cities are walking cities. I will be walking a lot. Eat like a pig and walk like a peg.

3. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

I take the point that AE or Loake really represent the dividing line between acceptable and don't give a damn footwear. When I see someone wearing AE I know that they're at least paying attention. That said I think that there are certain style deficiencies - easy example is the 360 degree welt - that materially detract from the overall appearance of an outfit.

2 people like this.
  4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Some people have to. Especially in larger cities where public transportation is relied on, walking and spending time outside is a necessity.

5. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Especially if you want to have any form of a social life during the work week.

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

I am off to Seoul. It's been a pleasure knowing all of you guys. Best of luck to all you Noodlers!

-Noodles

4 people like this.
  7. Caustic Man

Man, I don't know what this thread is going to look like while he's gone.

8. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Well-Known Member

10 bucks says he won't be offline during the whole vacation.

3 people like this.
  9. Caustic Man

I'm not touching that!

1 person likes this.
  10. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

Don't worry - he'll be back with a few suits that his wife makes him buy and the cycle will continue.

Dun Dun Dunnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

3 people like this.
  11. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

Are you sure this is not some retrospective historical method you are trying to use?

I am pretty sure you were dead serious about wearing the flannel in the summer.

12. TheWorldsFinest

TheWorldsFinest Well-Known Member

It was a pleasure meeting Dan at the space yesterday. He has great taste and for sure a member that helps make SF a great and unique forum!

Best,

Ian
    ShopTheFinest.com

2 people like this.
  13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Noodles, there's nothing wrong with wearing that shirt with that suit. The neat looked better than the stripe, though. Although CM stated his opinion emphatically, that shouldn't give it any more weight than others. Ultimately, though, if you don't like the combination, then don't wear it.

I don't understand this notion that shoes truly reveal the character/quality of a person. This seems more a reflection of the priorities and predilections of the viewer than anything else.

2 people like this.
  14. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

I think it just needs to be a coherent outfit from top to bottom in terms of silhouette and quality. Otherwise, some item will stick out too much.

I know some of the original shoe comments were made specifically toward Claghorn. My comment is made towards no one specific.

1 person likes this.
  15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Quality and price are not the same thing though. Having a bespoke suit doesn't mean that anything other than bespoke shoes will look out of place.

It's a case by case thing for fits. Clags most recent fit had meermins and I thought they looked great. Saying that G&G's would elevate the fit, while potentially true, just sounds bizarre.

16. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

Yes, agreed about quality and price. I'm not sure if that reply was directed at me or not so I just want to clarify that my point has nothing to do with that.

There's also poor quality bespoke work done out there, too.

1 person likes this.
  17. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

It was to you but more so to the conversation going on. I definitely understand that some shoes/lasts 'let down' a fit and this has been said for some of the fits I've posted with AE's. In many cases though, it's picking a non existent nit.

I feel like it's a new development on the forum tbh. Not that the last isn't a good fit, but as people have been able to identify shoes and what the wearer spends on the rest of the wardrobe, it's like "oh those are only Loakes/Meermins, would be better with GG's".

Just my jetlagged $0.02

18. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Strongly agree on the first point. Aesthetic coherence is a must. And since, in our particular hobby, our reactions to the aesthetics of a look are mitigated by our understanding of the CM tradition, some coherence in this regard is necessary as well.

I agree with the second point as well, but there is a great deal more flexibility here than in your first point. I don't think our brains, when looking at an outfit as a whole (rather than decomposing it into parts) will register a sense of incoherence at a someone in Hunstman bespoke and Loake 1880s or someone else in a Suit Supply suit and Edward Green Galways.

But there certainly would be incoherence in a man wearing Men's Warehouse and EG or Huntsman and Cole Haan.

4 people like this.
  19. Sotiris

Sotiris Well-Known Member

I don't think this is all necessarily linked to money. To some people there are significant ascetic differences between what some may say bulky, blobby AE lasts and finishing vs something from EG, GG, CJ, Vass, etc. which they would consider more sleek or elegant.

Just like with colors and patterns some people notice or care about this more than others. To those people, a trim modern (but still CM traditional - not GQ) fit may be "ruined" by a bulky blobby shoe regardless of brand/price.

2 people like this.
  20. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

I should have explained in more depth, but it's this quoted type of quality difference that I meant in my post.

1 person likes this.