Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Was your dad happy? I am really getting bored with my job.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Noodles, I think it is pretty clear that he is just resentful of the fact that he is a 30-year-old man without a job living in his parents house and you have a good job in a reliable field in a major city and can afford to have nice things. I would feel more sad for him than anything else, and that really put any more thought into it than that.

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Well, there's always the possibility of entertaining other relations should the criteria meet standards that are mutually beneficial to both parties.

4. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

To this day, he tells me, "The happiest day in my life was when I found out I passed the CPA exam." He's (probably half) joking that it beats out our birth (twin).

He still tells me he woke up every morning as happy as he could possibly be. Going to work, getting new clients and signing new deals (mainly loans for theatres, trucks, helicopters, etc), etc. He also loved getting dressed up. I used to get up early to watch him pick out his suit and tie every morning. If there was an SF when he was still working, he'd have been a moderator.

It also helped that he had a corner office and we got to watch the parades from way up high.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

5. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I can relate to your dad's feeling when he found out that he passed the CPA exams.
    It's a nightmare we all go through, at least the ones who choose to take them.

6. in stitches

Jester, that is awesome. For some reason that made me think of Clavin's dad from Calvin and Hobbes.

7. Kira

Kira Senior member

8. in stitches

No

Meh

9. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

10. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

11. Kira

Kira Senior member

12. in stitches

1. Quite nice. Not the nicest tie of all time, but usable and good looking.

2. Meh. Just an ok shade of pink and kinda shiny.

3. Turrble. Horrible shade, too shiny, poor horizontal twill, and too light to almost ever work in an ensemble.

4. Ugly. Needs no explanation,

5. See above.

13. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Of course! I think I meant something slightly different. This guy has a very strong opinion that, as a think tank accountant, you spent too much on a suit. I was curious what he thinks the right number is. But I'm kind of generally fascinated by people having very strong opinions about super narrow issues like that.

14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kira, pretend like you have all the money in the world. Find ten ties on eBay and post them here. With pictures, so we don't have to click through. Then we can look at what you chose to figure out what your tastes are when money isn't an issue. We can determine what features you like in a tie and we can point out what makes these ties worth buying.

After doing that, don't bother with any tie that doesn't possess those qualities, regardless of how cheap it is. If that means you only buy two ties a semester, so be it.

15. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I bet his opinion would have been different if I was working at a Fortune 500 company. But the thing is, I would be earning right around the same money. His statement was made with an assumption that a think tank does not have a great compensation package.

Everyone has to make choices on how to spend his money. I choose to spend on what I like and what I consider as important to me. One happens to be suits.
    It has been proven that well dressed people are more successful than those who aren't. Of course, their work has to back them up.

If I need suits for work and happen to spend a thousand or two on them, that's really my choice. It isn't anyone's right to judge.