Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I think I might get another one when I go to Seoul in a couple of months.

2. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I am going to nomanwearhouse for that!

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

In general I would not be taking advice from unemployed 30-somethings who are living off their parents long-term about pretty much anything. You work in an environment that requires a suit and care about owning quality things. Nothing wrong with that. I don't see how your profession or place of employment is relevant at all unless you're bankrupting yourself to get nice clothes, which - based on what seems to be a good head on your shoulders (sans the occasional picnic attack) and your plan to slowly build a wardrobe over time - you are not. I agree with others who said your mistake was answering his question in the first place. It's very tacky to ask something like that.

5. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

If it's a close friend I don't have any secrets about the cost of stuff I get, and I would ask them about the price if they had bought something I liked and would also like to get ahold of. I think the rude-o-meter goes up depending on how distant an acquaintance we're talking about.

What I wouldn't do though, is to judge them on how they choose to spend the money they've earned. A friend doesn't do that.

6. europrep

europrep Senior member

While living across the pond, the biggest difference I found between Americans and Europeans (yes, I am being very general here, but it has been my experience) was the Europeans would spend more on clothing and accessories (quality over quantity) but live in relatively small apartments/houses (relative to American standards). Renting also seemed to be the norm over owning. Yet, Americans will tend to frown upon the expensive clothing and accessories while maxing themselves out monetarily to buy large homes with more space than they need.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014

7. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hmm, in Stockholm I would definitely say the trend is to own rather than rent. OTOH we do exist in Europe's periphery.

8. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

Another thing to consider is that unemployed 30-somethings still living at home have no idea of the value of money.

Nor do they have any right to criticize how an employed, responsible adult spends their money.

9. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Think it's a gender issue, TBH. I know plenty of American women who spend a lot on clothes, but it's not such an "approved expense" for men. "The Secret Vice," I guess.

10. europrep

europrep Senior member

Agreed

11. europrep

europrep Senior member

Yes, it was a very general statement.

Stockholm was one of my favorite cities to visit while I was living over there! Besides the outrageous cost of alcohol, it has a lot going for it.

12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

The real insult here is not querying the cost of your suit; it's the phrase "just an accountant".

I think that is hugely insulting. No response is required. You just cross that person off your list of people you can be bothered with.

I also hate it when people say "just a teacher". Teachers themselves seem so used to this that they often introduce themselves as "just a teacher".

It doesn't matter what work you do, as long as you do it to the best of your ability and take pride in what you do.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

So true.
    I have never met an European in person so I cannot speak of them. (J/K).
    But the Americans (whites) spend less money on clothes, and even on cars, and spend tons on their houses and what goes inside it. You see so many white Americans dressed poOrly in an average car living in very nice houses. I actually respect this way of life. What lasts longer? Those who spend majority of their money on clothes and cars while living in a dump seem superficial. I am just making a very general stmt.

14. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Very nicely put.