1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Aight. Let me switch and let you be the judge. This is the best that I have at the office.
    How many foo pts do I get now?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I've been wearing the same Tag Link diving watch for the past 12 years and looking for a change of pace. I'm in a suit 2-3 days a week and typically odd jacket, trousers and no tie the remaining days. I'm thinking I need something a little dressier, but is still versatile enough to wear on the weekends. I'm looking to keep this under $1,000. As I've been lurking in the watch threads, I've been drawn to the Stowa Marine on a leather strap. I've also liked a few Longines models I've seen, but they are typically priced out of my range. I tried on a Hamilton automatic (jazzmaster? maestro?), but was kind of lukewarm on it. Any recommendations?

3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Erm... I kinda like that less. lol

TBH, it's not the tie that is bothering me the most, it's the matching scale of the stripe on your shirt and the windowpane on the suit. The tie just adds more lines! That's just me, though. Others might not be as bothered by it.

4. The Noodles

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. The Noodles

Oh well, whatever the case maybe. I felt less comfortable in the burgundy neat.

1 person likes this.
  6. Caustic Man

You feel less comfortable? Could this be the emergence of a personal style???

7. The Noodles

It all started when I put the suit on and looked in the mirror. I was wearing the navy birdseye yesterday and that is solid. Then when I saw today's in the mirror, it just seemed off colored compared to the navy birdseye (obviously duh~). But anyways as I ran out the door with the neat on, I just felt less confident with it and had thoughts in the back of my head, what ifs?

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

What one needs really depends on one's purpose for joining SF. Unlike a lot of people (I suspect), I didn't join because I wanted to dress better than I currently was. Nor did I join because I wanted to dress better than those around me. I joined because I thought jacket and ties were fun (and man, was I right). Dressing well is a very, very low priority in and of itself in my life (which is not to say I dress sloppily when I don't dress all CM). Clothes are a ridiculously high priority, true, but not because of any connection to being well dressed (which is just functions as an arbitrary goal I use...centered on aesthetics...when I decide to play CM in the morning...which is going to be a lot less with summer fast approaching :( ).

4 people like this.
  9. Caustic Man

Well I hope you are ready to bust down some door now.

10. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

The Longines HydroConquest is pretty versatile and can probably be purchased for under 1K new. - comes in either 40mm or 42mm, I believe.

I also wanted to purchase a watch in the > $1000 range and thought that either the Stowa Marine or the HydroConuest would fit nicely. I ended up with the HydroConquest since I got a pretty good deal on it via watchrecon.

11. Caustic Man

@Claghorn has a well thought out philosophy. lol

1 person likes this.
  12. The Noodles

@Claghorn
    STOP IGNORING MY KAKAO TALK!
    I need to speak to your wife!

13. Claghorn

Just a very clear understanding of why I do the things I do (and similarly, the fact that other people have different motivations and therefore take different actions...which is really at the heart of this thread :) )

1 person likes this.
  14. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

After @Cleav recomended I have a number of blue shirts on hand for my upcoming move to London, I realized I don't have very many at all. So I'm going to have two made. One spread collar and one Oxford collar. (I've also loaded up on knit and basic ties).

Want to help me pic two fabrics? I'm thinking a solid and a stripe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Caustic Man

That's unusual (not in a bad way). I barely understand half the things I do, the other half I understand not at all. I have that common disease where I pick apart the reasons that other people do things, but rarely turn he mirror on myself. Most people come here thinking nothing more complicated than "Grog want look nice. Need advices." That was certainly the case for me.

1 person likes this.
  16. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

Andy Norman #1 (AN2338) and the Roger Jakobs for me, BostonHedonist.

17. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

So can we talk Kamakura? I've been griping lately about how their US site never gets any good shirt stock anymore. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for staples like bengal stripe oxfords in different colors, end-on-ends, etc. Seems all the US site gets nowadays is the "dregs." When the US site first launch, it had all that good stuff... now... nada Then I got the bright idea the other day to check out the Japanese site with the help of Google Translate... I was blown away They have tons of a great shirts. Pretty easy to find those. http://shop.shirt.co.jp/mens/shirt/slim/ What I thought was more interesting was the selection of jackets, ties, pants and shoes... WAYYYY BETTER stock than the US store SC's cotton hemp blue SC for under 2 bills http://shop.shirt.co.jp/item/ZM0031_25/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grenadine Ties: Less than $45 bucks a pop... unlined Appears to be Italian gren fabric... that means either Fermo Fossati or Bianchi http://shop.shirt.co.jp/special/items_list/213/ [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Shoes: Some straight up knockoffs of the JL Lopez... right down to the product name! ("West End Rule Lopez")

Goodyear welt for under 3 bills

http://shop.shirt.co.jp/item/MLOPEZ33/

http://shop.shirt.co.jp/item/SLOPEZ39/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Claghorn

I obsessively...and compulsively...pick apart why I do what I do. Doesn't mean I'm always right about it, of course.

I'd love to say that it's given me some great insight into why others do what they do, but it doesn't. Answering that question is a matter of empathy rather than logic. Logic and experience can really only provide a range of probabilities regarding the motivations of others.

19. Caustic Man

Dude... I have been waiting for the U.S. site to restock FOREVER! Can you order to the U.S. from the Japanese site?

20. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

If I might jump in - philosophy and motivation being a point of fascination for me - I have observed a few archetypes when it comes to perceptible reasons why SF members have joined.

1. Seeking improvement in mimicking what popular opinion dictates as "stylish" or "fashionable"
    2. Seeking improvement in developing a unique personal style
    3. Suffering from one or a number of "material fetishisms" and looking for enablers and/or commiseration
    4. Addicted to sartorial shopping in general and seeking another outlet
    5. Looking for broader exposure to a current fashion/style zeitgeist on a more intellectual level
    6. Trolling

I would wager that many come in with one dominant motivation, and gradually move to another.