1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. europrep

europrep Senior member

Apologies, on my phone and not sure how to multi quote. Randomly on a redeye out of LA right now. Stopped in to meet Ian today and check out the inventory (ordered many things in the past). His stock is insane. You can get lost in the website, but he will be rolling out a new version soon. Such an under utilized SF resource.

@TheWorldsFinest tagging him so he can give a quick plug and then retreat to his thread.

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I'm going to be in London/Dublin and I'm slightly worried that I'm going to blow my savings on shoes and boots...

Also, i don't think clags shoe game is bad... You guys are making it sound like he likes like a pauper with those shoes given his clothes. Sure, you can spend even more and justify it, but if hes found lasts that work, then...

It's not like he's wearing corrected grain florsheims...

1 person likes this.
  3. Penfold

Penfold Senior member

If money no object then, whilst gold, silver and brass might be out, have you considered bronze? http://wingtip.com/product/holland-sherry/bronze-rope-rim-blazer-button/31391

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

MOP buttons would look cool too depending on the weight of the wool.

5. Penfold

Penfold Senior member

Actually since I recently bought some navy twill to make a formal blazer with I have wrestled with this problem too. So here are, from left to right, smoked MoP, brown corozo (I think) and real horn, all at 24l size.

[​IMG]

Real horn winning for me at this point in time. Bronze Holland and Sherry rope rim has a kind of timeless thing to it but not as obviously nautical.

6. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Thanks for your tips, @Penfold
    Those bronze buttons look quite stylish, but I'm afraid the rope detail refers too strongly to the nautical theme for my tastes.
    From your three examples I like both corozo and horn very much. MOP is best saved for summer jackets, IMO. As I said, I wouldn't hesitate to use either of those options on a single breasted blazer. However, I'm afraid a DB blazer may be just a bit too formal for buttons like that? Please note that this a very English styled blazer, with none of the swooping, voluptuous lapels and soft shoulders like their Italian counter parts. Would corozo or horn be appropriate?

7. Penfold

Penfold Senior member

What's the button configuration? 6 x 2 ? 4 x 2? Mother of Pearl or smoked Mother of Pearl could look ok if you only have four buttons.

http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-IF922_Blazer_HV_20100421185026.jpg

If it was SB as mine will probably be you could consider some kind of bastard half-and-half idea like these plastic ones on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Hardy-...967?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d99301d7

Moral of the story - don't buy the DB blazer without buying the yacht to match.

8. Crat

Crat Senior member

Late to the party here, sorry.
    I love my Westbournes and adelaides in general but because of their colour I only tend to wear them with with light/mid grey. IMO they are too light to wear with navy but ymmv.

9. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Mine is too small for wearing blazers on board...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. Penfold

Penfold Senior member

Life isn't fair [​IMG]

"Would you mind moving just a little. You're blocking my view."

"Your view... of what?"

"They run up a red-and-white flag on the yacht when it's time for cocktails"

"You own a yacht? Which one is it, the big one?"

"Certainly not. With all the unrest in the world I don't think anyone should have a yacht that sleeps more than 12."

Some Like It Hot.

Edit - forgot to say - beautiful boat, hope you're having a lot of fun with her.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  11. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

If that really is yours, then Kudos to you. :)

As for JS shoes, they cannot sell them in Indonesia as they import the leathers from outside and if marketed locally very heavy duties would be charged. So their model is export only with exception of outlet selling. I only made it to Bandung once, before I new about them, didn't really like it there, so never made it back.
    (Sorry again @Claghorn)

Have you ever tried to import leather goods above ~1m Rupiah? 40% luxury tax on top of the normal ~35%. Not fun...

12. mimo

mimo Senior member

True. But what kind of style/use do you have in mind? Give us some clues and a budget. This is one of my favourite games.

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Ugh...wearing Glenn plaid Formosa today aka @Murlsquirl's Squirrel Formosa. I am wearing brown striped shirt and a burgundy neat tie. I just feel really ugly. Switch to Sam hober navy stripe Tie?
    [​IMG]

14. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

This is the case with many of us.

15. Caustic Man

I wouldn't wear a brown striped shirt with anything, and I wouldn't wear a striped shirt at all with a glen plaid suit. If it's me (which it isn't) I'd wear a solid shirt of a tasteful color of your choice (i.e.: white or blue) and that navy tie is not a bad idea at all.

1 person likes this.
  16. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Brown striped shirt can look great with a brown tie. It's a bit matchy, but not too much.

You look great, but I do prefer burgundy ties with light blue shirts instead of white shirts . Give it a try next time?

1 person likes this.
  17. mimo

mimo Senior member

Switch to solid navy tie, or keep that lovely tie and switch to light blue solid shirt. The multi-pattern thing with the glen check works, but with two earthy tones there I think it's dragging you down. Light blue shirt is your friend - a SF orthodoxy that is sometimes overstated, but in this case, I think is bang on. Even the super-SF-iGent-favourite, the black knitted tie, could be the thing (with the blue shirt). But I like a burgundy neat more than most things, especially for bizniss.

18. Caustic Man

I'm not sure I'd go for that with the suit he's wearing. I'm picturing it in my mind and I can't make it look good.

19. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Sorry, I didn't listen. Is it that bad???
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Caustic Man

As some have pointed out in the past, you probably look better than most but that's not a great fit IMO. I give you...

[​IMG][​IMG] out of five Foos.