Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

I personally like about 8 for S/S and 8 for F/W. But 5 for each season is probably more reasonable for you.

Not that you do reasonable all that well. Nor do you seem to really want seasonal cloths.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

If you are wearing a suit daily, I think 4-5 per season (and yes there are suits that are 3 - 4 season suits) is the minimum, and 10+ becomes excessive. Not excessive in a bad way, just that its certainly beyond whats needed.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

3. europrep

europrep Senior member

The Eidos suits are priced like a two piece. I got the navy flannel with no intentions of wearing the vest.

4. kulata

kulata Senior member

And paying over 1k per suit is sensible in the real world? :lol:

5. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

10+ is excessive? Wow. Seems a bit low.

@kulata
    Every man should own a nice suit, regardless of price.

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Depends on how many days a week you wear a suit and how much you care about seasonality. IMO you should take the number of times a week you wear suits and add two to this figure to get a good rotation that allows you to at most wear a particular suit once a week and also allows for a suit or two to be at the cleaners / available if you happen to need to wear a suit more often that week. For you, that's either 5+2 = 7 or 6+2 = 8 depending on what you wear to church.

That's before seasonality considerations. You'll want at least a couple of options to wear in absolutely brutal summer heat no matter what and may want some nicer F/W suits as well.

If I were you, I'd get to maybe 5-6 suits you can wear as close to year round as possible, then add a couple suits for summer, and then continue building out your wardrobe.

7. archibaldleach

Believe Stitchy is saying 10+ suits that you can wear in any given season is excessive, not necessarily that owning 10 suits total is excessive.

Edit: As an addendum to my prior post, consider a rotation of something like 7 3+ season suits (basically 10-11 ounce worsteds in various weaves), 3 summer suits (linen / wool blend, tropical weight wool, Fresco) and 2 heavier F/W suits (heavy flannel or maybe at least a 13+ ounce worsted). 12 suits total and gives you a fair rotation for most of the year (a few summer days will suck but that can't be helped unless you have an entire wardrobe for summer which may not be feasible for you).

8. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Let's see a fit pic of that suit, Euro. I just ordered a SC from NMWA to nail down sizing for MTO.

9. in stitches

10+ suits that are wearable in a season is more than needed, no question. If you have 11 suits that can all be worn, say F/W, that means you can go 3 full weeks without doubling up. That is beyond even what I could justify as necessary.

10. in stitches

Correct. I have 5 suits (or will have #5 soon), and thats more than I need. But thats only because I dont wear a suit daily. If I did, I think 10 per season (probably 15 total if you get fabrics that overlap seasons) would be my goal.

11. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

10 three-season suits should be a start. I think seasonals (linen and flannel) are luxury items at this point.

12. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

If you are a professional type and are wearing suits everyday, 5 per season is a good number. I mean 5 for S/S and 5 A/W. And really, that could be overkill. If you are able to mix and match sport coats and odd trousers you could technically get away with owning less then 5 suits per.

13. europrep

europrep Senior member

I know, I know. Just haven't needed to wear a suit recently.

14. archibaldleach

^ Sounds about right. I probably wear a suit once a week on average, and the 7 I have (excluding the tuxedo) are way more than I need. 3 are 10ish ounce worsted (navy / charcoal / medium grey), 2 are 13ish ounce (grey flannel / navy worsted) and 2 are summery (RAF wool / linen and tan linen). I went for seasonality sooner than I suggest for Noodles because I don't need as deep of a rotation for any season.

Edit - This was in response to Stitchy's post.

15. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Thank you all for chiming in. I had a much higher # in mind. Glad I asked the question.