Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Y u gotta be so mean~

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I've yet to buy a 3 piece suit or odd vest. That said, if you are getting something bespoke, it may be worth buying a vest just to have the option of wearing it if you change your mind. You can always buy a 3 piece and wear the thing as a 2 piece most of the time. If you're not comfortable being the only guy in your office who wears a vest, maybe wear the occasional 3 piece to church on Sundays or something like that.

3. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

If no one else in the office is wearing it you've gotta be either Alpha As Fuck[​IMG] or kinda quirky to pull it off. I wear 3 piece all the time, but it's a bit more natural, due to the arctic climate.

4. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Asking for a friend, any good bespoke tailors based in Canada especially near Vancouver?

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

1. I dont like sharkskin.

2. If you are going to commission a suit, it damn well better be in a fabric that you cannot find RTW.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

A big plus 1 to this. I have never seen a three piece suit in 10 plus years with my current employer and cannot imagine randomly showing up in one

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not necessarily true. Or perhaps true with an important caveat.

You first bespoke piece should be a staple. If you can find a staple fabric that's unavailable RTW, then more power to you. But staple needs to be a priority. It's silly to spend thousands of dollars on something that fits you better than everything you've ever worn but can only be worn occasionally.

8. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Just to clarify....I wasn't suggesting a 3 piece for the office. That said, 3 piece POWs are awesome and why not get a vest if you have the option...they aren't that much more $. Even if you throw it on once every couple years for an event or outing, it would be worth it IMO.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Yeah, wear the suit as a 2 piece in the office, and add the vest for special events or nights out.

10. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

@EFV
    Gosh, I already feel out of place with the [email protected]'s lapels on Formosa suits. A vest would be pushing it over the top, IMO.

11. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Quote:

I rest my case.

MF, you know your context better than me. I think a TF-style wider shawl would dress down more easily than a narrow one like that, not to mention look much more natural in a non-black tie context. Self-faced, of course.

I'm not sure I'd find unlined sleeves more comfortable, though. Surely they'd tend to catch on your shirtsleeves more than a lined sleeve?

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Well, staple, sure. As in, staple color and of the variety that you can wear often. But it still better be a fabric that is more interesting than the same navy or gray suit you can find RTW without a problem.

13. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

While we are on the topic of suits for work, what magic number of suits should I aim for as I rebuild my collection? 5? 10? 15? I think this will be a long process as I will continue to pay $1,500-$2,000 per suit.

14. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Exactly.

Every three-piece suit comes with a two-piece suit at no extra charge.

Cheers,

Ac

15. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

+1 to this. It's also worth pointing out that you get a lot more fabric options, even with staple choices, when going bespoke or even decent MTM. One can of course find basic navy and grey suits available off the rack, but you don't get to pick (or in many cases know beyond an informed estimate) things like fabric weight. Being able to get the navy / grey / tweed you actually want versus what can be found in a make that fits you RTW is a very worthwhile thing.