1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I as well. Thanks for the kind words. [​IMG]

2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think Westbourne is Noodles' best bet. But his third brown shoe should either be an austerity shortwing (if he wants to take baby steps) or a shortwing with brogueing. And are we not discussing suede?

As far as black....a wholecut will work, but I think something like a Westbourne would be better (whole cuts are a little too formal I think. And sometimes their creases stand out a bit more).

So. I say:
    Black Westbourne
    That austerity from Carmina

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

A note on the Westbourne: it's a lovely shoe, but I think that @Crat's have a custom color while @Cleav's are in dark brown rather than the standard Chestnut. This makes these two pairs much more versatile.

I have C&J HG Chestnut (Selbournes), which is a bit different than BG but same general ballpark, and they can be hard to wear in conservative environments. Just a bit too light I suppose. I love them and I think that they're beautiful but I really only wear them with odd jackets and can't think of the last time I wore them with a suit.

1 person likes this.
  4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I too like wholecuts. As for broguing I can't convince you that it's a good thing. I personally love it, but then again, for me something my grandfather would wear is a plus, not a minus.

2 people like this.
  5. The Noodles

Westbourne it is then! My local store had chestnut but I don't know if they have a darker brown. I prefer the darker brown with my outfits.

Can I get some suggestions on suspenders? Kind of like the ones Braddock wears?

Now gentlemen, I have some issues with the Formosa suits. Let me know your thoughts.
    - I feel like the jacket needs a nip around the waist
    - The trousers need tapering.
    [​IMG]

I think the trousers need tapering here as well.
    [​IMG]

6. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

Perhaps it was an autocorrect error and they meant to say shoes? [​IMG]

Formosa's look great. Agree with your comments, a little nip at the waist of the POW would give it the last bit of shape to make it really stand out.

Can't tell with the birdseye if it's just your stance that's different from the POW, but the break seems a little more pronounced on those trousers than on the POW.

1 person likes this.
  7. The Noodles

I meant suits.
    Thanks, I need both trousers shortened. The PoW definitely needs a nip.

8. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

@The Noodles is that your natural stance? Looks like you're leaning backwards a bit and that can explain why you have those poodles of excess fabric behind the thighs. May also be that the balance is off. Can you post a side view pic?

9. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

Yes, ideally darker than chestnut would be better for you right now.

But it would look great with that grey fresco Formosa (and/or an AFB fresco) for the warmer weather.

1 person likes this.
  10. The Noodles

I don't know. There was a lady staring at me in an empty hall as I yelled capture at my phone.
    I tend to lean to my right in my natural stance. I believe Field mentioned that my balance will always be off because I have no @ss. (I hope that's what you meant by balance).

Okay, gosh darn it. It is official. I hit 190 lbs not too long ago and with proper diet and exercise (mainly jump rope and squat) I knocked off 10 lbs. My trousers need work done now.

11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I don't hate you brah, i just wish you'd be a bit more accepting of a certain member.

As for this discussion. I don't like whole cuts. Austerity brogues are awesome though, so score!

1 person likes this.
  12. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

I don't think Noodles should purchase C&J Westbourne in Chestnut. While I have them, and enjoy them, they can be tricky to integrate into a conservative fit. Plus, I believe the transition from dark brown and black to reddish shoes it to big of a step for him.

When I started purchasing quality shoes a couple of years ago I, much like you, purchased C&J only. Westbourne first, Hallam second, Drummond after that. But after a while I looked elsewhere also, and I'm glad I did. I guess what I'm trying to say is; don't stick to one maker only. There's a whole world of shoes out there. While I love my pair of Westbourne (the only C&J pair I have left), I started to appreciate other, more conservative, lasts when taking a look at other makers.

If you have the opportunity to try Vass, do it. I think a pair of Vass on the U-last, Old English Plain model in either dark brown or black would be ideal for your conservative/minimalist taste. I own a pair in black. I rarely use it as I'm not required to dress conservatively, but when I do, I feel like on top of the world.

2 people like this.
  13. Sotiris

Sotiris Senior member

^ One of my pics above is Vass F last Old English II in oxblood. I think F is better than U as I don't think Noodles current lasts are that chiseled but I do so realized that's more personal peference.

1 person likes this.
  14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

You finally lost the 10lbs that you said you'd lose a year ago?

That's awesome man!! Congrats!

On trousers, I don't think you should taper them too much, as it might make your feet look too big. The jacket would look pretty odd with very tapered trousers as well. Just make sure you stay on the conservative side.

1 person likes this.
  15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Burgundy shoes aren't hard to pull off especially with navy or grey.

16. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

F would also be great. It's really about personal taste. But from what Noodles have considered it seems U is more suited to his taste than F. If you prefer the look of 348, U would be more in line with that than F, no? But I agree, F lasted Oxblood shoes would be a great alternative.

17. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

I agree. But Chestnut isn't a dark burgundy color. It's more red than burgundy. Oxblood on the other hand would pair well with the colors you suggested.

1 person likes this.
  18. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

Also interested in a pair of Vass Oxbloods in F last - assume NMWA is still the quickest/most hassle-free source?

BTW also keen to get some advice on the most effective shoe purchases for a predominantly navy/grey/charcoal suit collection. So far I have 3 pairs of AE (the last pair were given to me by a colleague who no longer wanted them, yet to find anything suitable to pair them with):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. TM79

TM79 Senior member

So shoes with broguing are too grandfatherly for you but you're asking for advice about suspenders?

Sorry man, that's just lol...

Also, my shoe opinion is: I don't mind wholecuts but much prefer other shoes over them. I really dislike floating medallions.

1 person likes this.
  20. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Noodles, what kind of shoes do the guys at work wear?

Might be safer to think about fitting in more. Burgundy/oxblood could stand out a bit too much at this point in time.