1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

"Is this real life?"

- David at the Dentist

1 person likes this.
  2. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Ugh...just shut up Noodles!
    No, you shut up~
    Nobody wants to hear all your shite
    No! I will do as I please
    Please don't. Stop it.
    No!

who will win this epic battle!?!
    tune in next time!

But in all seriousness, I have fun here. Maybe I just share too much and maybe some people just don't care. Whatever the case may be, I will attempt to act how I act in real life.

Thanks Archi for the good advice.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

4. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Isn't or wasn't "noodle" also used as a verb as a synonym of "kop" or "purchase," e.g. "Should I noodle this tie?"

2 people like this.
  6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

"Noodling" is the act of an impulse purchase. Sometimes wise, sometimes not.

A "Picnic Attack" is any sort of panicked or emotional outburst. Noodles recently had a picnic attack after his performance review

"Quilting" is threatening to give up, leave, or quit out of exasperation. Rarely followed through (thankfully)

@The Noodles
    Please don't. The only time I'll say that you've acted legitimately unwisely (as opposed to say, inappropriately or in a way less than good natured) is when you went a little overboard bad mouthing your employer. And the reason this was unwise is that your employer, or those under you, may be aware or may become aware of your presence on here, and those comments can bite you in the ass. Some people have greater levels of anonymity on here than others. archibaldleach could probably brag about how he banged his boss's wife, daughter, and eldest son and be alright. You've not really enough (not that that is a bad thing...you are also more humanized...something that makes your presence very much a benefit to this forum) to go off like that on people who put money in your account and enable your noodling.

3 people like this.
  7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

What's the term got going back and deleting all your posts?

My people...they love me

8. Claghorn

To merc a post. Named after a poster. As is DTO.

9. The Noodles

thanks@Claghorn for the wise words. I come here to hang out and I do not filter what comes out of my mouth, obviously. That being said, I think I've gotten too careless in what I say, as you pointed out. I think I need to just be good natured again. Thank the Lord for this vacation. I will enjoy it for SURE.

1 person likes this.
  10. in stitches

Its merkur.

1 person likes this.
  11. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

This IS real life, brother. It's not a fantasy land where suddenly all the people on the other end on the internet turn into cartoons and you can say and do whatever you want. Real people, like Iso, have real reactions to you. If you react one way to the real people you meet on here, and then another way to the real people you don't meet, I don't know what to say.

5 people like this.
  12. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Quoted for truth.

1 person likes this.
  13. 997CTSurg

997CTSurg Senior member

14. The Noodles

I really don't care dude. I will jUST be courteous to others. Just go on your way.

15. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

That wasn't very courteous.

16. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

I wonder what it says about me that I exactly know what you mean...
    (Although I haven't actually been to Patpong.)

Oh! Great show today.

17. in stitches

Obviously people everywhere need to be treated with respect, but its natural that people adapt a different personality online, often unintentionally. Some more heavily than others, but no one comes off the same way online as they do in person.

I think thats all Noodle meant. Not that he thinks he can be a dick online because its not in person the same way as face to face interactions are.

3 people like this.
  18. Claghorn

Just to be clear, my defense of Noodles does not extend to his reaction to Isolation. Noodles has talked in private with myself and several moderators. He is, thankfully, putting that behind him and has blocked Isolation since he struggles to control himself (for whatever reason) with regards to Iso's posts. I've also talked to @Isolation expressing my support for his endeavors. He asked what I thought of his starting his own thread to try and get the look he's been going for. He hasn't gotten around to it, but I hope really hope he does. I think it'll be a lot of fun. Especially if Iso manages to start taking half decent pictures so that we can tell what his clothes actually look like on him.

What my defense does extend to is this thread. Now this thread is a great thread. And it can take a lot of off-topic shit. It is a perfectly acceptable place to vent and expect to get some sympathetic ears. It is also a wonderful place to give, and get, good natured advice.

What it cannot take, however, is several pages of off and on discussion of a poster's character--any poster--which is less than good natured.

CM, you're clearly a good guy; if you weren't, Noodles treatment of Isolation wouldn't have caused you to develop this (however mild) antipathy. And I agree with what you say in the quoted post. The forum is a facet of real life. It's communication with real people. It is just as real as a phone conversation.

I guess what I'm asking--and I am sincerely asking--is for us (all of us) to drop the discussion of Noodles' character. It simply isn't in the spirit of this thread.

2 people like this.
  19. mimo

mimo Senior member

All correct, bar the last point: Noodle dissection is this thread's special draw. I like Noodles and despair of him all at once. This is his gift.

1 person likes this.
  20. Claghorn

Not when the dissection ceases to be good-natured, as it has post Noodles' Performance Review Fiasco (NPRF). There has been some good natured advice (don't talk shit about your employer on a public forum). But there has also been some comments which come from exasperation, annoyance, and a desire to express these.

Again, I'm not suggesting that these comments haven't been warranted. Though I might not agree with them (nor do any that either know Noodles personally or are more aware of Noodles' personal life--which is very far from the shitshow he likes presenting it as), the sentiments are very, I think, understandable. This just isn't the place to voice them.

1 person likes this.