Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Question:
    I am thinking about taking my Formosa suit to a new tailor. Field Tailor is great but it just is so much hassle to get there and to pick it up again.
    There is a Korean lady that has a add-on shop next to a dry cleaners. She did great on extending the sleeve length on my wedding suit and she seemed like she knew what she was doing.
    I shouldn't judge by appearance (should judge results alone) but I don't know whether I should go with a tailor that is more conveniently located.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

That all depends on what you are doing to it. Just sleeves and cuff trousers? If so, you should be fine if you had her so it before and liked the result. If you touching the waist and/or chest, it would probably be worth the hassle/cost of Field.

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

I have yet to try on the pants 'cus it's been sitting in my office but waist and tapering.

4. Kira

Kira Senior member

Thanks for the suggestions and information. I don't have this perfect image, but I would like to wear trousers with a slim leg opening. I always hated baggy trousers. I can't do that with larger quads because they'll look terrible.

Anyways, back on topic regarding Suit Supply!

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I have pants that have a 7.5-8 leg opening and they look fine...

I can guarantee that your quads are not big lol.

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Nice suit, Sugarbutch! But why low res pics! [​IMG]

7. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

OK, judge for yourself. Like I said, I'm 5'9" and 155 pounds. I squat or deadlift once a week. Here are two (bad) photos of me wearing size 32 pants from a 38R SuitSupply Napoli navy stripe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You don't need bony legs (which is what you would have if you lost 35 pounds) to wear slim pants.

8. Kira

Kira Senior member

@ridethecliche and @yanagi , you have reasonable arguments. I'm going back to my tailor on Saturday to get my measurements. I never had 'professional' take my measurements, so I'm pretty excited... especially for the waistcoats.

Since I live near the Austin area, I was thinking fresco for my trousers and mid weight wool (with a heavy linen back) for my waistcoats. It's getting colder, but it is usually coldest during January-March.

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Low-res? Those pics are huge! Perhaps you just don't like the filter? Here are the same pics unfiltered:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still a bit grainy, but such is life in relatively dim conditions with an iPhone.

10. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

I swear, if I have to see another pair of bare feet poking out of dress trousers, I'm gonna have a picnic attack!

11. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

I said they were bad photos...[​IMG] Next time, I'll lace up my Park Avenues.

12. AJL

AJL Senior member

Not sure what causes people to do this and subsequently expect to be taken seriously re. fit (not singling you out here, yanagi, esp. as you are noob).

My personal fav is thread namesake = Frodo Baggins. Priceless.

13. mdancel

mdancel Well-Known Member

RTC that's a huge transformation. Nice to see other cyclists on here. Have you legs grown in proportion with the gains you have made in the upper body?

I'm a track sprinter on the velodrome so i have a butt and legs but pretty small upperbody (more aero) which has made it quite a bit of a trick to find pants that come close to fitting.

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Legs used to be a lot bigger in the fall of 2010. I had two back surgeries and haven't been able to lift legs that hard lately. Four years ago I was buying pants 2+ sizes big in the waist so they'd fit my quads. I'm talking about gap khaki's here, so there was no slim fit action going on.

I'm 170 in the second picture, for reference.

I wish I could race track. I used to race with an SRM and my 5sec power was like 1430W at 148 lbs...

15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Grainy! That was the word I needed to use instead of low res! Sorry! Still, suit looks awesome!