Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

2. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Flusser's books are also a must read - they give you a solid foundation of classic menswear. The books are by no means the "Bible", but if you know the basic rules, you can always play around with the concepts to create your own look.

3. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

You've read this, eh?

http://dieworkwear.com/post/13831024107/the-cutaway-single-monk

and, uh, the follow-up, which I happen to agree with?

http://dieworkwear.com/post/57713004143/reconsidering-the-single-monk

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Not everyone has to dress to SFs tastes. He can read all he wants, but if another style appeals to him more, shoving SF mantra down his throat is not beneficial.

5. kulata

kulata Senior member

We don't know the camp you belong to with no fit pic :D

PS: I have not read a single style book in my life

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

This may be the case, Iso, but it is also the case that this thread takes pride in concerning itself with execution rather than direction. If you want to look like that, most of us will do our damnedest to figure out how you can get there.

And just to be clear, the lack of response your fits have received have as much to do with the execution as the unSF direction you may have been trying to take them.

I suggest you go through your favorite instagrams/Pinterest boards/tumblrs and find ten outfits you'd like to be able to wear. Do the same with the SF WAYWRN composite thread. Post them here.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

7. Anden

Anden Senior member

Agree.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I don't have a gun check jacket yet but am very keenly looking for one in beige with a blue overcheck like the one owned by @Anden above.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

9. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I have a brown linen shirt, seems okay, but I wouldn't say it's the most useful thing, even for casual outfits.

Thanks.

I think by and large I prefer the SF aesthetic, but I don't like that preference to keep me from looking at other stuff that I like. I do actually think the majority of the whole GQ/#menswear stuff to be tacky but there are bits and piece I find appealing and I like to find out what about them I like, and if I can learn from it I don't see why not.

I do feel like some of the stuff I want to wear has no room on SF, like it's not quite streetwear (at least the pieces are the brands people there deal with, and it's not CM. Like I'd basically never seen fits posted with trenchcoats for instance, which I wear a lot of, it doesn't seem to make sense, not to mention everyone hates burberry. =P I also just don't take very good pictures or something, I can never pry my spouse from their studies to take proper pictures.

Unrelated, turns out they prefer me in casual trousers and a sweater than all my suits. =[

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Its cool to like different types of things, but within each ensemble it needs to be one way or the other. Any look that is neither here nor there will never land well.

11. JIMB

JIMB Senior member

12. Anden

Anden Senior member

Cheers. It's a Raffaele Caruso Sartoria Parna.

13. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

I'm planning on ordering a pair of trousers from Luxire. But before I do, I need to understand a couple of things. Mu usual measurements are thigh width ~12,5" and leg opening ~8" (not sure about knee width, but would assume ~10,5" +/- 0,5"). While I've enjoyed it for some time, I've come to realise that in order to achieve a cleaner and proportionally appealing look, I need to increase those measurements so that the trouser legs hang freely from the waist (or shoulders as I'm planning on using braces).

Obviously, this kind of look is hard to achieve if not going bespoke, so I'm not anticipating a fit on par with vox's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm aware every individual has his/her optimal set of measurements. What I'm interested in regarding the pictures, and hope that you're able to help me with is the silhouette. Do the trousers taper from the knees or does the taper begin from the thighs down to the leg opening? Is there something else I should look for?

Another thing I enjoy is how the trousers rest on the shoes. Wearing size UK7,5-8 and sporting 8" leg opening requires a slightly shorter inseam in order for the trousers to not get caught at the shoes creating an unappealing break. On the backside the trousers A) don't reach down and just below the heel as in vox's pictures and B) tend to look short when walking. Would a 8,5" (+0,5") leg opening and slightly longer inseam allow for the trousers to hang as neat over the shoes as in vox's pictures or should I opt for an even larger leg opening? I don't want to swim in the trousers, but I don't want the leg opening to get caught on the top of the shoes either. In the pictures above, the trousers sit just above the second pair of lacing and covers the back of the shoes without getting caught on the heel. It's just perfect, imo of course.

I know this is dependent on other things (fit around the seat, balance etc). I'm also aware that it would be to much to ask from Luxire to nail a fit like the above pictures going by my measurements. What I'm interested in is achieving a silhouette similar to the above, not the fit. The latter is up to me and my measurements. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014

14. Anden

Anden Senior member

15. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

great questions and i have no idea...but i did notice how wrinkled his shirt is...he must be wearing the same shirt multiple days in a row.