1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Kira

Kira Senior Member

Does anyone see the use of light brown/tan shirts? I'm making a list of shirts to get when I go to my first tailor on Black Friday.

2. PCK1

PCK1 Distinguished Member

Corset IS NOT the way to go.

And the overly tight jacket is a very Italian thing...made well know by style icon Lino Ieluzzi of Al Bazar Milano...he is covered often at Pitti Uomo, etc...and is know for his very tight fitting pulling double breasted jackets.

some of that guys fits are quite nice...ignoring certain things that I do not like...like his tight fitting jackets, use of waistcoats, pocket square use, etc.

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Distinguished Member Affiliate Vendor

That's the guy, has like 160k instagram followers or something, more in to those silly bracelets and things like that that the IG masses seem to love. Probably wears a pinky ring too :hide: Wears his stuff extremely tight, as you can see.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

@kulata

Echoing jrd, this is great. Really wanting one now too. These two patterns were my favorite of the bunch.

5. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

160k? That's probably more than the whole of SF... He's up there with the usual crowd of clowns and poseurs: http://www.billionaire.com/mens-fashion/1163/top-ten-italian-mens-style-instagrams

6. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

So, some will recall that I asked if I should keep my Carmina double monks about a month back. You guys convinced me to keep them (especially Cleav) and I pulled them from B&S. Well, I forgot that I listed them on eBay and got a message today that they sold for the Buy it Now price. I priced them pretty low and I am pretty bummed because I planned on keeping them. It sucks, but I have no choice to honor the sale and send them off. Just venting....

7. Kira

Kira Senior Member

I saw those for sale. Suede correct? They looked great and well taken care off, but I have other priorities.

8. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Nope, dark brown calf. There were well taken care of and now someone else can enjoy them....dammit.

9. PCK1

the world works in strange ways...i'm sure this will turn out positive.

maybe with a navy chalk stripe suit...for the holidays...

10. PCK1

11. EliodA

EliodA Distinguished Member

LOL, well, actually I think he is 'hors categorie'

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

The universe is speaking to you, Murl.

13. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

You don't like the dub monks, SB?

I'm more partial to single monks like these:

[​IMG]

Though possibly with something in the toe box to break up that expanse (or one with the empty expanse, one with some broguing or a cap toe). It's the elegant swoop of the strap along parallel to the sole that I find very nice and hard to find in affordable versions.

Murl: condolences. Though as you know better than many of us, at least it's a first world problem.

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Iso, it occurrs to me that you favor the GQ/tumblr/#menswear look that is pretty much shunned here.

Hence, every time you post a pic of something you like, it gets lots of hate.

SF is not the be all end all of clothing. If you find that through the advice you get here you are more often rejecting what you like in you heart than embracing it, then you should probably do some thinking.

15. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

I think most new SF members come from the GQ/Details/Esquire/#menswear school of aesthetics

I know when I first started my journey, I was definitely from that camp. And I remember a young Stitch who wore Z. Couture loafers everyday. :)

Time lurking of the forum will get rid of that. And reading classic menswear text. Manton's book is a good place to start. Iso, why don't you pick that one up?