Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

I need to get a pair of suspenders to go with the Navy RL suit I just got.... Hmmmmm. This thread is going places [​IMG]

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Focus, Noodles, focus. No Zegna, Armani, Gucci or anything else that also comes in a mock-gold quartz wristwatch or a logo T-shirt. Perhaps it's unfair to lump them together. But perhaps not.

No labels. Just fit. No labels. Just fit. Repeat after me....

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

This. [​IMG]

4. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Braces are a WIN. I'm actually picking up a pair of pants today that I had buttons added to. The pants I use braces on drape so much better for me.

5. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

And how dare you put Armani and Gucci with them (as far as suits are concerned). I never get Armani or Gucci or Prada.

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

JR, see what's left in the sales at Drake's, and also Exquisite Trimmings and The Hanger Project. There is no sale but always 10% SF discount at No Man Walks Alone. Shibumi has some nice madders, albeit on the small side. And there's a very eclectic selection at Kent Wang. I'm sure there are others, but that should keep you busy.

7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Thank you for playing. The point, dear Noodles, is that you buy Zegna for the same reason as lesser mortals buy Armani. Because you know the name and associate it with quality, regardless of its actual useful value. But it costs more than bespoke for something that doesn't fit right. Which is the choice of a fool.

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

[​IMG]

while one should never buy just for the label, zegna does make some excellent SF approved stuff.

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

JR, I suggest the following from Kent Wang in terms of ease of use:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

No doubt. But to Noodles, it is cake to a fatty. Not that he should never have it again, but for the foreseeable future, he needs a healthier option.

Just the madder at the top, and one of the others. They are all silky with lots of light colour in there, I'm not sure you need more than one of those for starters. They're all cool though.

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i see clags is echoing my advice about large scale PSs. :bigstar:

12. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Okay, if I get the zzzzZZZzzzegna suit that I tried on yesterday, then it will fit just like the one I have on EXCEPT it will darker.
    But the question is, that won't do jack for my wardrobe collection. It'll just look like all the other suits that I already have.
    I need a suit that will make you say, "Mother father! That is one fine suit, you son of a gun!"
    That's what I am looking for.

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the idea of 25 ties. So I went through my collection and decided that if I was trapped on an island, and I could only take 25 ties with me, these would be my 25:

[​IMG]
    Row 1: Sam Hober, Tom Ford, Henry Carter
    Row 2: Sam Hober, Henry Carter, Zegna
    Row 3: Howard Yount, Gitman Bros, Drakes
    [​IMG]
    Row 1: Howard Yount, Brooks Brothers (a wonderful wool-silk blend), Howard Yount
    Row 2: Borrelli, Hugo Boss, Panta
    Row 3: Sam Hober, Panta, Henry Carter

[​IMG]
    Row 1: Howard Yount, Altea, Drakes
    Row 2: Sam Hober, Panta, Sam Hober
    Row 3: Sam Hober

14. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I talked to NMWA and they will restock the sharkskin suit in the Spring...if that ever comes.

15. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

JR
    Why don't you pick a couple of ties you would wear now, say with your navy blazers/suit. See what people come up with. I agree with advice given. I find a busier, multicolor palette to be helpful (and usable in different fits). I like 2 and 3 of the Wang.

Not much left in the other sales, I think. Stitches Navajo PS is a good one. Sugar Butch also has a sand colored one that he has used to great effect (both drakes, both not available anywhere, I think). I'm no longer as sure about paisleys, and probably would avoid Neat patterns for now (though it depends on your tie).

This might be a fun exercise, if I might be so bold as to suggest one: pick a few PS to match with one or two ties. Post your thoughts, pic of tie and link to square. I'd be interested how people here respond.