Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. europrep

europrep Senior member

Since tailor thread is dead, throwing this up here. Trying new brand. Front looks good to me. Back needs work. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

How would one fix the back? What brand is it btw? That lat flare looks awesome for me!

3. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

PT + DEFRANCO + SF. MY WORLDS ARE COLLIDING

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

europrep, I'm not sure how you would fix the back. But it's not so bad that I wouldn't wear it.

5. kulata

kulata Senior member

The back can be fixed by shortening the back balance. Vertical folds near the lats are not necessarily bad, it's like back drape and it allows for ease of movement, it's the pulling at the hip and flared vents that makes the above alteration necessary.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014

6. rms340

rms340 Senior member

So when I said I can't find CM clothes to fit me is because I'm a small guy. Pushing 5'1 and about 110 lbs. I've tried the smallest men's sizes and it seems as if they're too big to even tailor. The SC is Brooks Brothers in boys sizes. The shirt is light blue, I will try it with a different tie that has more texture to it. I will see which other trousers I have that will hopefully work better than the current ones and will report back.

7. Kira

Kira Senior member

Woah, woah, woah, what's wrong with black blazers? Is it because the color itself is both restrictive and reserved for formal wear?

8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Sorry to get pedantic here, but are we talking about black odd jackets or specifically a black blazer?

- If the latter, I'd say that blazers are most traditional and correct in navy (unless you have won the Masters, in which case green is also workable). Especially once you add something like metal buttons, it just seems like a bastardization of a classic.
    - If the former, you do have a bit of incongruity between what is a very stark formal color and the idea of an odd jacket which is more inherently casual. Black tends to only really look good at night, so there's that too. Finally, the color combinations that work with it are limited relative to navy.

9. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

@europrep

I'm not sure about the back. It's too "drapey". Is the tailor thread really dead? That's too bad. @Despos recently made a comment in the cloth thread. Perhaps he wouldn't mind dropping by to explain what's happening at the top/back and how to fix it?

10. Kira

Kira Senior member

I was discussing black odd jackets. I still understand your point, nonetheless.

11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I like black jackets =[

I think when a leather coat is in brown or something not black it's better.

12. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

Not sure this fit is ready for prime time so I present my take on the standard office khakis and blue blazer for a little GNA.

Everything is cotton except the sport coat which is a fuzzy wool/cashmere blend that takes every piece of lint in the vicinity out for dinner and a movie. Shoes are those soft leather AEs that, last time I checked, aren't regarded well 'round these parts, but you work with what you got while you got it. :)

Incongruent or workable? What say you gents?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

I can live with most of it except the tie which makes me want to stab myself in the eye. I'd have gone with a knit tie of some description.

14. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

If there is any room in your budget for purchases I'd get new trousers with a bit higher rise + nicer looking shoes (doesn't have to be expensive). OTOH, if you ain't got the cash, I think you can improve that fit by disposing of the tie. I don't think it will get much love neither here, nor irl.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

15. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I like relatively high rise trousers, but it makes me so weird when I wear denim since even what is considered mid-raise feels extremely low like they are falling off, and I'm slowly having a more balanced casual/denim wardrobe.

As much as I want to people in my social group don't dress MC much and I'm a bit out of place most of the time.

This is partially why I like trenches they kind of straddle the two worlds a little, and decent for rainy UK in terms of practicality.