Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

^ stitchy's blog

2. 997CTSurg

997CTSurg Alpha-M

Stichy's blog.....so yes....another time waster

3. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

4. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

What's the general view on chinos especially khakis? I don't like them. Are they really a staple? Can't I get away with only ever wearing twill wool, linen trousers, or jeans? I don't see any void that chinos fill except maybe on a practical level.

5. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I think you can do away with them and replace with some nice cotton suiting.

6. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Can I just avoid cotton except jeans? Feels like I'd rather either embrace wrinkles and go linen or be dressy and choose like a twill or hopsack wool, or go full casual with denim.

I personally just prefer linen and wool to chinos in every way. Like light fresco wool for dressier occasions in gray, and tan white or cream in linen. I know there's some debate in this but I'd rather brown wool for slightly cooler weather than chinos too.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

@Isolation, I have a couple pairs of khakis that get occasional use but generally prefer something else. I do like seersucker odd trousers during the summer, but generally go with linen or Fresco / tropical wool. For winter, I wear a lot of flannel and some cavalry twill, but I do like heavier corduroys and moleskins, which, while cotton, I think are slightly different from your basic chino.

IMO the advantage of cotton trousers (including seersucker, your standard issue khakis / chinos, corduroys and moleskins) are that they are easier to dress up than denim and still work very well in most casual contexts (okay, maybe not seersucker quite as much but you get the point).

8. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Oh yeah I think moleskin and cords are perfectly reasonable or in fact desirable because they provide textural interest, I'm mostly talking about simple plain tan/khaki chinos of the stereotypical business casual look.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think my stance on cotton pants is known.

10. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Not to me! Pray tell.

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Chinos suck!

12. JIMB

JIMB Senior member

Yes, just noticed my shoulder causes some rippling on the right side. Haven't heard of lordosis before, but will try to work in counteracting exercises in my routine, thanks.

Was fitted for H. Freeman: they recommended the 40R. The gentleman kindly took a picture, but realized too late that it may not be full enough view. I liked the fit at the time, but looks boxy now? I liked the Crittenden jacket, too, pockets look odd now.

Southwick looked too short, even in the 42R (pictured).

How do the more built shoulders look on the Freeman? Will try for the other brands next week, thanks for the suggestion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Additionally, today I wore a jacket that I had thought was too big for me, so only wore under sweaters and the like. Now thinking I had the wrong expectations, would like to hear feedback. Cheers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. kulata

kulata Senior member

^Those BBs suck.

You look better in the Hickey Freeman, Crittenden and the last Brown corduroy jacket. That seems like the direction you should take but with significant alterations. Correcting your lordosis will improve the fit of your jackets at the back but I am fully convinced that you should avoid soft shoulders.

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Really? I thought the HF and Crittenden looked just as bad but in different ways. I didn't find the shoulders of any of these to be noteworthy (neither fantastic nor bad).

15. europrep

europrep Senior member

Much love for cotton pants from this guy. Don't understand the hate. Chinos > jeans