1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

[​IMG]

I am the one that offered it to Noodles at around 50% off.

I have worn the suit about 10 times. Noodles probably just thinks I wear it all the time because every time I do, I post in WAYWRN.....because it is awesome.

5 people like this.
  2. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

O I C, awsm indeed Murl

3. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

I still remember seeing that picture and cussing out aloud in my office. It must've been the kitchen and the granite countertop and the frying pans. white cabinets.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  4. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

1 person likes this.
  5. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I have no idea what Noodles is objecting to here.

In any event, I’m very grateful to EliodA for his typically well-informed commentary and suggestions, and likewise to all who responded so helpfully ( @archibaldleach @Murlsquirl @EliodA ).

Thanks, guys.

Cheers,

Ac

2 people like this.
  6. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

@Murlsquirl , without a doubt this question has been asked before but I'm too lazy to re-read 1000 pages of GNAT: why would you sell that suit if it's that awesome?

7. WeakMonday

WeakMonday Senior member

When you guys wear a lighter colored suit... Do you eat foods that are less messy and drink say white wine over red? I was eating squid ink ramen in my solaro suit which resulted in a few bad stains and a very bad panic attack... Needless to say I spent the rest of that day finding a reputable cleaner to take care of it (fortunately Hong Kong has some decent cleaners). Should I only eat sushi in my lighter suits or should I just get dark suits/jackets from now on?

8. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

This is a tricky one, but how much space should one generally allow for in jackets? I have been buying jackets with measurements between 40.3-41 and have a 38/39" inch chest - beginning to think I need to start sizing up. Hard without fit pics, I know. But tightness in the chest when I move/lift my arms isn't uncommon..

Edit: referring to suit jackets here..

9. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

It depends. Some jackets are meant to be cut closer to the body than others so it depends upon design. Generally speaking, between 3 and 4 inches is common, I think. Some discussion can be found here:

http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2820

Tightness in the chest can also be associated with armhole position, I believe.

You might also run the question by the tailoring thread folk.

Cheers,

Ac

10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I don't think I've ever ordered food differently based on what I was wearing. Spilling on lighter colored suits can suck, but most stains can be taken care of if you act quickly and get the clothes to a good cleaner. Ultimately clothes are meant to be worn and enjoyed, not stop us from enjoying life and our surroundings (within reason, obviously I'm not going to start wearing a suit to the gym or to do manual labor).

1 person likes this.
  11. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Squid ink ramen and red wine are necessities of life. I guess you should only get dark suits from now on. You can send your solaro suit to me, now that you don't need it anymore. I'll PM you my address. [​IMG]

More seriously: take off your jacket and use a napkin?

12. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

13. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I eat what I want and wear what I want, taking rational precautions but with full awareness that stuff happens.

That said, some will be amused to learn that every order of a shirt from Proper Cloth comes with a form letter which includes the following advice:

"Don't order bolognese when wearing a white dress shirt. Especially when drinking Cabernet. That's just asking for trouble."

Cheers,

Ac

14. The Noodles

We interrupt the following program with the follow advertisement.
    It's called 너구리 라면 or Raccoon Ramen. (No joke).
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Jacket length. It is "acceptable"...especially for a casual suit, but I need a L. I kept it and if Noodles doesn't buy it, I'll have it lengthened one of these days.

I couldn't care less if he buys it or not. I love the suit and will be MTO the same one if he does. I know he needs suits, so I offered to him only. I'm either really generous or a complete idiot.

2 people like this.
  16. lukejackson

lukejackson Senior member

This is the bane of my existence. I have a very light beige/fawn jacket from corneliani, one of my favourites and too often wear it out to dinner and incidentally get drunk. I wake up hungover, palpitating with fear as I check the jacket for stains. Thankfully nothing yet...

1 person likes this.
  17. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I see, that makes perfect sense. You're very generous indeed, certainly not a complete idiot. I guess we all know who is being just that in this thread... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. The Noodles

[​IMG]
    I claim that title!
    (Or you could say I earned it)

19. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

@The Noodles , if you know what fabric you're interested in (Fresco 0520?), you can buy it directly and have it shipped to B&T. It'll probably save you a bit of money. B&T, like all tailors in Korea, upcharge the fabric a bit. They have to pay, I think, a subscription fee to have access to the fabric to begin with, so perhaps this is why.

1 person likes this.
  20. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

You're the generous one, noodles is the idiot [​IMG]

Edit: didn't read noodles reply. Noodles, just buy it!!!!

1 person likes this.