Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. timotune

timotune Senior member

I quite like the color combination.

The next thing you should be working on imho, is to get a few shirts with more spread & longer collar points.

2. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

I don't want to jump around too much but I realized I didn't wear a PS today kind of forgot about it. Now that I'm thinking about it I only have 3 or 4 that aren't very workable. This may be more of an "advanced" question but I'd still like to pick up a couple squares to start. If you guys had to pick one or two pocket squares what would you suggest? I have a basic white one and a blue/purple paisley on cream background then I have a burgundy floral on black background but I'm thinking at least two more with some good earth tones.

[​IMG]

3. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

감사합니다. But I thought those were legit collars. Could it be that I just didn't button up the jacket?

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i generally find that squares with very large scale patterns are easiest to use. something that will be larger scale than your suit, shirt or tie. Browns, blues, greens and burgundies are all good colors I think. But Im really not the PS expert in any way shape or form. Also, solid white obvi. Kamakura has a great one in a thick cotton for like 10 bucks.

5. timotune

timotune Senior member

괜찮습니다. 셔츠 카라 부분이 여전히 저한테 작아 보입니다. ;)

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I told you. I fucking told you to get the collars I was getting. But noooooooooo, you wanted collar #3

7. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

ahahahaha

8. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

워우워우워우 Calm down, Clags. Those are pale blue ZEGNA shirts!
    Since my parents are in Seoul RIGHT NOW, maybe I'll tell them to pick me up some collar #3 AND have couple of shots and drink beer with you!

Did you really? I might have been a bit buzzed. I don't understand why you didn't stop me.
    FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BUY SHIRTS DRUNK

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  9. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

ㅋㅋㅋㅋ You speak better Korean than Claghorn! LOL
    Okay, I thought these were massive collars but I shall do spread collars next time.
    What's that, Clag? COLLAR #3?!!!! [​IMG]

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Finding things he likes isn't the problem. It's finding things that he likes, we like and that fit him. A day of shoe leather, especially as he lived in a big city, could replace a month of to-ing and fro-ing with e-tailers.
    And this is indeed the best advice. Plus posting pics of all of them so we can laugh at help him.

That is beautiful...I really must get PayPal working...Noodles, this is excellent, I am coveting YOUR ties...

Look at your ties. The white square is a default, but beyond that, let's assume you are on side with the neat ties suggested broadly in this thread. A few textured solids, couple of repps...but mostly neats. Navy, burgundy, and some greens/browns. For perfectly PS play, I agree with the principle that tie patterns and PS patterns should not be the same (neat PSs are surprisingly hard to use I think, and big paisley ties are only for Holdfast). But also, the key I think is contrasting the colour with the tie, while keeping the same tone. If you have a muted burgundy tie with blue florets, then a navy PS with a bit of burgundy in it is fabulous. If it also has spots of orange and green even better. But if one is bright and shiny and the other is a flat ancient madder, it's not going to fly.

So:

- different patterns to your ties; usually small pattern ties, big pattern PSs is good
    - similar tones to your ties, meaning you might need one or two that are duller and warmer in colour and/or texture, and one or two others that are more silky and brighter
    - try to get patterns in which the dominant colour on display is the opposite to the dominant colour in the tie

And finally: when you buy the PS, think about how you fold it, because you need to think of which colour will actually be sticking out of your pocket, whether or not it's got pink elephants or brown birds or a yellow border.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  11. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

I think next on the list is to get Nodles to wear suspenders. [​IMG]

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

When he gets his three piece suits made up. But before that, we need to fix his shoes.

13. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Actually...I have pants that have no belt loops...so I just might. But that can wait. I want more Hober ties and a nice sexy suit.

14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

[​IMG] You can find some braces at SuitSupply. Very cheap $99 usd. [​IMG]

15. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

I am still thinking about the dark grey sexy suit from Zegna...[​IMG]