1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have topied beaters or shoes with Dainite soles. My rain shoes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. The Noodles

The Noodles Senior member

Fine
    Fine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    3 people like this.
  3. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I don't think Iso has done anything deserving of being blocked but to each their own - it is the easiest solution for anyone wanting to not be part of that overall conversation.

I can sympathize because based on what he's said, there's not exactly a decent forum out there for the look he's going for. So he knows he's posting fit pics here that aren't gonna generally get much love and he rolls with some heavy criticism very well without ever firing back. I can respect that.

That said, I honestly have no worthwhile advice I can give about nailing that sort of look so I tend to just hang back.

4 people like this.
  4. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I have rain shoes with rubber soles too. Not nearly so nice as Clag's, but allowing them to dry for a day or two and ensuring I keep up with the polishing a conditioning seems to allow them to hold up pretty well.

5. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I just critique based on colours and stuff like that. At least this burgundy jacket isn't pulling at the buttons, so that's a massive improvement.

2 people like this.
  6. Claghorn

Noodles is again suggesting we spank him. The world is back to normal.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Caustic Man

I didn't think what @The Noodles said was all that bad...

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

I like the top block and think that's the best fitting jacket you've posted. Usually there's pulling, tightness, or disproportion because of the extreme nipping at the waist relative to the shoulders. The color and texture mix is solid. The dark trousers aren't working as well. Cream or winter white would be better. Burgundy is just going to be a hard match. If the shoes are black, they're too formal for this fit, even if they are a more casual style.

I share the question from others about the contradiction between your expressed preference for longer coats and the length of this coat, but I assume you likethe length of this one. Have you considered having a frock coat made? That would give you more length. It would also address what I see a visual problem: if I understand correctly, you want some skirt flair, but to me, that combined with a short coat results in disproportion between the upper and lower parts of the jacket (the top looks too long compared to the bottom). A frock coat would even out the lengths without compromising the skirting effect that you seem to want. Just a thought.

9. Claghorn

It's the spirit behind it. And it's been ongoing.

So.

Now.

THE ISSUE IS OFFICIALLY DROPPED

1 person likes this.
  10. Caustic Man

I don't reckon I can speak to that. Nor do I reckon anyone else can but him.

11. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

Thanks! I think the London answer is probably the best one on this question.

12. Claghorn

Oh, Noodles, Mrs. C has been bugging me to get Mrs. Noodles' Kakao ID from you. She wants to become friends. Do we allow this to happen?

They'll meet soon enough. We'll still be here when you guys come in the early fall.

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Noodles, just buy the damn grey flannel Formosa from Murl already and let there be much relief and rejoicing in this thread.

2 people like this.
  14. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Yes. With a proper schedule of polishing and conditioning shoes can become reasonably water resistant over time.

That said, if I lived in a truly rainy and puddle-ridden place I’d probably invest in a pair of galoshes.

Cheers,

Ac

15. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Gents

I'm torn on a mini houndstooth SC blue, grey, black. Also it's essentially a mid gray SC. Suiting pattern but part of me says who cares. but obviously I do...

16. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

People on this forum baby their shoes too much. The only thing that can really damage your shoes is salt. A bit of rain here and there is perfectly fine. Just brush them, use shoes trees and make sure they rest at least 24 hours in between wears.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it, but getting dainite soles that could help as well, no one's going to notice the difference anyways.

2 people like this.
  17. Claghorn

How are the details? Soft shoulders, triple patch pocket? Double is iffy. Three trumps the suiting pattern. Also, how smooth is the finish?

18. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I hesitate to interrupt the continuing soap opera, but may I squeeze in a question on a purely practical matter? I’ve been meaning to ask this for a while and was reminded of it by this photo by Claghorn.

I tend to follow the traditional principle that socks should match the trousers of a suit as closely as possible (odd jacket/trouser combinations are a different matter, of course). I’ve had no trouble finding black socks to go with my charcoal suit, dark navy socks to go with my midnight blue suit, brown socks to go with my brown tweed suit, mid-gray to go with my mid-gray suit, and so forth.

But I’m drawing a blank on mid- and light-blue socks. Anyone have any suggestions for sources that won’t break the bank (I’m a cheapskate at heart and it pains me to spend a lot on something no one will see unless I’m sitting down)?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Ac

19. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Don't do it man. Stay strong! Quality over good deals and quantity. Triple patch pockets would be fine though.

20. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

You folks are right as I know deep down. No patch.

[​IMG]