Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Told my wife. She said she wants to learn to so she can box her mother inlaw.

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

@Coxsackie, I do think houndstooth in brown works better than black and white, but still think it would look better with a larger scale pattern. For the second jacket, once we add a third color we are getting closer to a gun check and further from the two color houndstooth patterns that tend to be better as suits.

3. JIMB

JIMB Senior member

1. Will check out a few places and get measured. Measured myself at a 41, but not sure I trust the accuracy.

2. Got it, will look for that length.

3. These chinos don't fit my waist well anyway, so sounds like they should go.

4. Definitely, thanks. Not buying anymore J.Crew/BR at this point.

5. Need them? No. Enjoy wearing them? Yes. They make functional sense anyway with the mild weather where I live. Will stick to the basics, though.

6. Will go in again. I forget the cut I tried before, but was very uncomfortable with the arm hole height, looked like Frankenstein's monster when I reached up. Do you think phone shots are good enough?

7. OK. I have a couple blue, one brown, but I fear they exhibit that same issues above.

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

@TweedyProf

I wouldn't recommend Brooks Brothers to JIMB. I was in a store recently, and the sales associate could not find me a single sportcoat that didn't run short by SF standards. He said the entire range is now on the short side. He also said they don't stock many L's.

As for the grey SC's, I think a grey and black herringbone tweed is an excellent staple. That one should definitely be top 5. Unfortunately, the OP's J Crew jacket is ill fitting and ill proportioned

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

5. kulata

kulata Senior member

@JIMB in addition to what they've all said, I'd recommend you stay away from the current fad of soft shoulders and go for more traditional makers with built up shoulders like Southwick, Hickey Freeman, Canali (the ones they sell in US stores and not the Kei line) etc. Your shoulders are very narrow compared to your hips and thighs so you need a jacket that will add some bulk up top. It's not going to look as fluid when you are moving around but it will give you the visual balance that is more needed in this case.

6. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

@JIMB I would add Corneliani (at least many of the Sartoria models) to kulata's list of jackets that have more structured shoulders and might work well for you.

7. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Fair enough. I guess if the OP's market has a Nordstrom's nearby, he could try Canali. Do they sell Hickey Freeman? Kulata's suggestion seems to be worth trying.

Agree on grey/black herringbone. YMMV on Gray. I'd opt for gray/blue herringbone myself (so more slate). But combinations can be taken care of after the more important fit issue.

8. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

I saw you posted a picture of a lighter colored jacket in Claghorn's thread. Can you retake a pic of that jacket and post here? A quick glance suggested that it fit much better. If we point out where it fits well, that might help you see it more clearly too.

9. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

So I had these cuffs done at Mr. Field. I don't think it is worth the hassle to go back to him to simply get 2" cuffs. Anyone see the downside of just taking it to a local tailor who has done good work twice for me. Isn't this a simple task?
    [​IMG]

10. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Should be pretty simple as long as there's enough material left in there to make the bigger cuff.

11. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Yea, go local.

Speaking of Field, finally bringing a jacket in this Sat that I picked up back in Feb

12. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Well, he should make them a bit shorter IMO, so there should be enough material left.

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

This.

Assuming that the pants look that way when he is standing straight, I would agree with this as well.

14. kulata

kulata Senior member

^Important.

Something funky with the way Noodles suit pants hangs at the back. Also saw that when he wore his Formosa..

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014

15. The Noodles

The Noodles Skid Fu

Sigh...this is probably due to balance issue. I have no ass where there needs to be ass so the pants are not dropping cleanly. Am I right?

[​IMG]