1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Good lord, check out bluefly.com

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Jul 15, 2004.

1. raley

raley Senior member

Also, before I take the splurge if you guys could help me out a little more with versatility with those RL captoes - what could they go with and what would they be considered "too formal" to go with? Could I wear them with chinos/khakis and a light blue shirt? Or Chinos and a darker colored shirt? Chinos period? I am not too good at color matching and want my dollars to go a long way here - looking to keep these for several years obviously. Thanks for any help.

Also, would it be worth my while to pick up a Zegna belt or something similar with this sale (it is for all accessories) to wear with nicer clothing? Any other brands that would work or is ebay better for those, etc.? Thanks a lot.

2. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Belt quality/brand name is insignificant IMO. Any halfway decent belt will look good and hold up for a pretty long time. Now if you were going all out on a outfit you wouldn't want a $20 Banana Republic belt in most cases, but that's about all I ever buy- JCrew and Banana belts when they are clearanced at $<10.

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I also have a hard time differentiating between belts. Bigbad, do you think that the Banana Republic dress belts are that bad? I actually think them pretty good quality, at least as good of quality as I see in Polo belts that retail for $85.

Belts are really weird though, I agree. I actually have a Jones NY belt that is made out of Italian leather and was made in Italy, and it cost me $40. I really like it better than most belts I've seen for $100 or more.

4. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Oh, by the way, on the captoes, I personally think that (1) you should never wear black dress shoes with khakis (with a potential exception being penny loafers), and (2) whether a pair of dress shoes of any type can go with khakis depends on the cut of the khakis. The Polo captoe you noted has a pretty narrow toe, which would look really bad IMO with pants with a really wide leg opening. So, I wouldn't wear even the brown ones with say "bootcut" khakis or J. Crew distressed chinos, etc. But, in terms of a shoe that would pair nicely with slacks or a dressier cotton pant, I think they totally fit the bill.