• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good looking "technical" gear; Other companies like Outlier, Nau, Aether, etc.?

Newo

Reaction score
Outlier's water resistant stuff is what I would consider waterproof. They were the only pants I brought on vacation to Cuba and I spilled beer, wine, water and food on them. It almost all just rolled off. If it didn't, I press a napkin on it (once I realized) and they were dry. I understand if you want to see it all bounce off, but I'll be damned if I could find a way to ruin my Outlier Chinos.

ac_slater

Reaction score
File under: Stuff I would buy if I wasn't paying for grad school.

Actually, Outlier stuff is semi-affordable. But I wasn't very impressed with the pants I bought from them. Fit was good but I never could figure out what I was paying for. They felt about the same as those skinny jeans with 5% spandex you buy at H&M. Sure they stay dry, but so do my duck pants.

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a bit more complicated than that and the reason some brands stick to Gore is that they're contractually obligated to (or more accurately that they're forbidden to use other fabrics or to promote them in a way to would commercialy hurt Goretex without risking to lose their accounts). That said there's more and more eVent stuff on the market and polartec neoshell jackets have started to show up recently too.

You might want to look at Westcomb too, some of their stuff is available in pretty subdued color schemes or even all black and the quality is pretty high.

Last edited:

oneninetyseven

Reaction score
A good point. I guess I'm thinking of times I'd be out in the real, pouring rain.

That being said, I just put on the slim Dungarees and ran water from the faucet all over the knee. Brushed it off. Result? Slight dampness on the leg that was gone in about 10 seconds.

Outlier's water resistant stuff is what I would consider waterproof. They were the only pants I brought on vacation to Cuba and I spilled beer, wine, water and food on them. It almost all just rolled off. If it didn't, I press a napkin on it (once I realized) and they were dry. I understand if you want to see it all bounce off, but I'll be damned if I could find a way to ruin my Outlier Chinos.

oneninetyseven

Reaction score
Good points. I can think of a pair of lightweight, skinny jeans I had that bore a textural resemblance to the Outlier Dungarees. I guess the differences are also that Outlier:

• Is made in the US in smaller quantities with costlier fabric (hence - in part, at least - a higher cost)
  • Probably has greater durability
  • Maybe has nice looking construction and other functional details like a gusseted crotch

Still, I hear you.
File under: Stuff I would buy if I wasn't paying for grad school.
Actually, Outlier stuff is semi-affordable. But I wasn't very impressed with the pants I bought from them. Fit was good but I never could figure out what I was paying for. They felt about the same as those skinny jeans with 5% spandex you buy at H&M. Sure they stay dry, but so do my duck pants.

oneninetyseven

Reaction score
Good points; I hadn't considered contractual or other such matters. That's too bad, though - it sounds like GoreTex is slowly going the way of the dinosaur, if one actually looks at what some of the other fabrics are capable of (from what I've read, anyway). I'll take a look at Westcomb, thanks; that's a name that hasn't crossed my radar before.

I think it's a bit more complicated than that and the reason some brands stick to Gore is that they're contractually obligated to (or more accurately that they're forbidden to use other fabrics or to promote them in a way to would commercialy hurt Goretex without risking to lose their accounts). That said there's more and more eVent stuff on the market and polartec neoshell jackets have started to show up recently too.
You might want to look at Westcomb too, some of their stuff is available in pretty subdued color schemes or even all black and the quality is pretty high.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
Second the rec on Arc'teryx. I have a softshell vest, hardshell jacket, and wool/nylon jacket of theirs, and between these three I basically have every need covered. I don't think they make the wool one anymore but it's probably my favorite of the bunch. It seems to me that their newer stuff gets a little flashy, but there are always some color combos that are more low-key or where the logo is tone-on-tone.

Kjus is another technical clothing maker that has bad ass stuff, but you're going way up in price (like $1k for a hardshell jacket instead of $500 like Arc'teryx).

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good points; I hadn't considered contractual or other such matters. That's too bad, though - it sounds like GoreTex is slowly going the way of the dinosaur, if one actually looks at what some of the other fabrics are capable of (from what I've read, anyway). I'll take a look at Westcomb, thanks; that's a name that hasn't crossed my radar before.
Westcomb was founded by ex-dudes from Arcteryx (or dudes who used to work @ factories used by Arc, not clear on the details but there's been lawsuits iirc) so designs and cuts are somewhat similar. It's all made in Canada as far as I know (and one of their selling point now that Arc has moved some of its production elsewhere, if that kind of stuff matters to you). I don't recall any of their 2012 outerwear using Goretex, which kinda makes sense.

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Westcomb was founded by ex-dudes from Arcteryx (or dudes who used to work @ factories used by Arc, not clear on the details but there's been lawsuits iirc) so designs and cuts are somewhat similar. It's all made in Canada as far as I know (and one of their selling point now that Arc has moved some of its production elsewhere, if that kind of stuff matters to you). I don't recall any of their 2012 outerwear using Goretex, which kinda makes sense.

Goretex used to (and still may) muscle people around, forbidding you to use eVent, for example, if you want access to Gore products. So the Westcomb guy left, started using more advanced textiles (and also got sued by Arcteryx...) Westcomb is a lot more advanced in its material usage than just about anyone - and I believe they have a new jacket called the Apoc that uses the new hotness which is Polartec Neoshell.

Then again, I have an Acronym GT-J11 in Gore-Tex that I really like, but almost wish was heavier, and a Rab Drillium in eVent that I find too lightweight - although it is meant for cycling, so the "excessive" breathability would be a strength if I wasn't a fair weather rider (and to thrown in a plug, I am selling the Rab cause I never wear it).

oneninetyseven

Reaction score
How do you find the breathability of the Gore-Tex garment you mentioned? Do you have to build up a lot of sweat before it it "breathes"?

Also - do you find it "stinks"? Some synthetics, when new, I find, have a lousy chemical smell that makes me feel gross and not want to wear them (thankfully, no problem with the Outlier stuff!) I've heard Gore has a reputation for either stink or toxicity.

Cheers

Goretex used to (and still may) muscle people around, forbidding you to use eVent, for example, if you want access to Gore products. So the Westcomb guy left, started using more advanced textiles (and also got sued by Arcteryx...) Westcomb is a lot more advanced in its material usage than just about anyone - and I believe they have a new jacket called the Apoc that uses the new hotness which is Polartec Neoshell.
Then again, I have an Acronym GT-J11 in Gore-Tex that I really like, but almost wish was heavier, and a Rab Drillium in eVent that I find too lightweight - although it is meant for cycling, so the "excessive" breathability would be a strength if I wasn't a fair weather rider (and to thrown in a plug, I am selling the Rab cause I never wear it).

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. Yeah, the first review on neoshell seem more than positive. I've been considering the Apoc as cycling jacket actually but I'm not feeling the red zips at all so now it's down to the Westcomb skeena vs. MW orion, no neoshell though.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't used the eVent jacket very much at all... Like I said, it is almost too breathable for me and I was mostly planning on wearing it casually. I never noticed anything with my GoreTex.

fuzzyearlobes

Reaction score
im partial to TAD Gear. I like the fact that they are local to me (Bay Area), make stuff without logo's and in decent colors that are not typical outdoor/mountaineering. Most of it is USA made, with a couple Canadian and Chinese pieces scattered throughout.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you find the breathability of the Gore-Tex garment you mentioned? Do you have to build up a lot of sweat before it it "breathes"?

Also - do you find it "stinks"? Some synthetics, when new, I find, have a lousy chemical smell that makes me feel gross and not want to wear them (thankfully, no problem with the Outlier stuff!) I've heard Gore has a reputation for either stink or toxicity.

Cheers

If you want breathability, Pertex is the best, not as waterproof but it breathes amazingly well

Newo

Reaction score
I think I'm just a huge advocate for Outlier stuff because they really are huge advocates for their customers. They have an incredible return policy (6-months 100% refund on any product, regardless of case/condition), they make a phenomenal product in my opinion, and they're not ridiculously pricey. They make products that are of a 'buy it once, use it forever' quality. I've also gone to the extent of following them on Twitter (Next level social networking yo), and snagging some sweet deals (>50% off of items). I would always recommend them to anyone looking for a technical fabric, and am always looking for other brands that provide such a good product.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads