Good leather gloves

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Silverfox, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

I'm a very satisfied customer of Chester Jefferies (online) you might want to try them out.
    Mine are in cape and silk lined, so probably not what you're after.

Unbelievable. I can't believe I've gone 36 years of my life without knowing about Chester Jefferies. Thanks for the tip. Those are some fine looking gloves.

2. Fanthom

Fanthom Senior member

When it comes to a good fit, it might be a good idea to try unlined (or perhaps silk lined) gloves, which are made to fit tighter. The need for for lining is exaggerated in my opinion; I use unlined gloves down to minus 5 celcius.

I heartily second the recommendation of Madova. They are the best I have tried both when it comes to construction, leather and fit.

My experience with Chester Jefferies made to (self-)measure is not so good, so I am surprised that so many in this thread recommend them. Maybe I was unlucky, or not very good at measuring, but the fit was much too loose. I also have bad experience with Sermoneta and RLPL, both of which fell apart after a season or two.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

You were probably not so good at the measuring. Some people just aren't.

4. scooby-doo

scooby-doo Senior member

I recently got some handmade peccary gloves from Bauhaus leather. Very, very nice. Plus it already has that wrinkly look so you do not have to wait for it!

J. Bauhaus website

[​IMG]

5. godofcoffee

godofcoffee Senior member

I'm not sure why this hasn't already been said, but yes, you're buying the wrong kind of leather. Even Hermes gloves will get wrinkly quickly if they're made of smooth leather.

I usually get J Press's deerskin gloves, and I love 'em.

http://www.jpressonline.com/winter_g...s.php?page=all

Peccary also won't wrinkle (since it's wrinkly to start out with), but peccary isn't for everyone.

Ok, so I'm in the market for a pair of good leather gloves.

I think I'll probably go with shearling lining, as I already have spring/autumn gloves for the less cold periods.

My problem though, is that every time I buy gloves I feel that they turn ugly after not too long. They expand an atrocious ammount, to the point where bordering on too snug becomes way too roomy. Also, the leather gets very wrinkly and ugly.

Am I going for the wrong kind of leather, the wrong leather thickness or what?

Or is it just a question of the quality of the leather?

Last gloves I bought were a pair of black Zegna gloves, so I was expecting them to hold up relatively well.

If you please, could someone inform me of what to look for when buying a new pair to avoid them going the way of the previous pairs? Ie leather type, leather thickness, fit etc...

Thank you in advance

6. godofcoffee

godofcoffee Senior member

Also, yeah, Chester Jefferies is pretty awesomely cheap.

7. hxh_killua

hxh_killua Senior member

Chester Jefferies look fantastic.

Does anyone have recommendations on models for really cold weather? Toronto is getting chilly. There seems to be a slight premium on the lambskin, is it cause it's better or just more exclusive?

8. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Another vote for madova. I do have a shearling lined pair which are great.

9. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

ordered some buffed hogskin Man About Towns from Chester Jeffries. Looking forward to some great gloves. Will report back w/ pics and thoughts when they come.

10. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

ordered some buffed hogskin Man About Towns from Chester Jeffries. Looking forward to some great gloves. Will report back w/ pics and thoughts when they come.

That's the exact pair of gloves I've been eyeing from them. Summer here, will buy a little closer to winter.

11. Fanthom

Fanthom Senior member

You were probably not so good at the measuring. Some people just aren't.

So your experience with them is the opposite, then?

12. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I've never had a problem supplying my own measurements to a variety of online MTM houses - Tailorstore, Barrington Ayre and others. Some people just aren't good at taking their own measurements, that's all I was saying. Some people are, some aren't. Nothing wrong with that either way.

13. hxh_killua

hxh_killua Senior member

When they say Hogskin, it is analogous to peccary? On that note, does Chester Jeffries carry peccary?

14. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

CJ does have peccary, and isn't shearling an entire skin, not just a lining? Otherwise, it's just wool or am I missing something?

15. celeste_pista

celeste_pista Senior member

someone here was touting ganterie st julien, iirc. looked to make a graet product