• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good investing forums?

crease

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laffertron
One good resource for general thinking about investing and risk management is Veryan Allen, if you read through his archive it will elevate your consciousness on good investing. Ironically he has written for Seeking Alpha.

Interesting site. Thanks!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
work with a financial advisor who you trust and who provides a long history of good results, and one who also has a good plan for todays environment.

Its a great time to invest, but please, dont listen to the internet on this one, hot stock pics are an excellent way to loose alot of money.

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jbreen1
There are so many options it can really mess with your head lol. I'm a finance major at school and there's already a ton of info. My suggestion would be to hire a financial advisor. That way you have an expert taking care of your money, and he/she will also look over and manage all of your investments.

Mutual funds are a great way to go though. So it looks like your already headed in the right direction. But for safer routes look at bonds and T-notes.

Originally Posted by Jbreen1
Not true. Mutual funds are a great way for people to get into investing. There are pros and cons to both mutual funds and indexed funds though. Mutual funds are good for people that don't have $100k or more to dump into stocks. They are also well diversified and if one stock does bad it doesn't matter much compared to your overall return. And like the name implies, you have an expert managing and looking over your fund. But you also have to pay a management fee which will take away from your overall return. Individual stocks are risky because you can't diversify as much unless you have serious cash to spend. And if you have a portfolio with only 3 or 4 stocks in it, and one does bad, it's going to hurt your overall return. And you should really know your stuff if you invest in individual funds, because it can be quite risky.

laugh.gif
God help everyone in finance if you're what colleges are producing now. I understand the guy above me recommending a broker because most people think that's the way to go, but you're studying the topic--you should know better.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i recommended a financial advisor, which is someone who will work along with you to get you in a good financial position, they work at the level of risk you can handle and prevent you from making financial blunders.

I agree that the rest of the advice given in Jbreen's post is horrible, there is no reason why you would need 100k to start investing in stocks, unless your plan is to buy a Brk.A.

Diversifying your portfolio is as simple as picking 8 to 10 stocks in more then one industry.

I personally fallow Warren Buffett's style of investing.

Avoid daytrading, and if you're interested in building wealth, plan to buy stocks you intend to hold for years.

rolex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I personally fallow Warren Buffett's style of investing.

Avoid daytrading, and if you're interested in building wealth, plan to buy stocks you intend to hold for years.

Good stuff.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Its a great time to invest, but please, dont listen to the internet on this one, hot stock pics are an excellent way to loose alot of money.

Doesn't the market have quite a bit to go before it bottoms out?

Wooh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
Doesn't the market have quite a bit to go before it bottoms out?

Who the **** knows. Never invest trying to call a bottom.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics