• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good hair clippers?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good set of hair clippers for 30-50? Preferably something I can get from a beauty supply store, but I'm not averse to ordering one. I don't need something elaborate, but I'd prefer something that'll last and that I can do slightly more with, eventually. But mainly, right now, I just want to shave my head and not worry about haircuts.

(skal, looking in your direction)

Englandmj7

Reaction score
I shaved my head myself for years. Go to Target/Walmart and get a set of clippers/scissors/5-6 settings/brush/etc., etc. for under $25. All of the sets I have gotten there have held up well and they do an excellent enough job. fyi, there is a Target and a Walmart about 5 minutes from where you live on Showers/San Antonio off of El Camino.......

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
fyi, there is a Target and a Walmart about 5 minutes from where you live on Showers/San Antonio off of El Camino.......
This is a little scary. Can you tell me how near I live to Target or that other store?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL. Wahl (of all companies) makes some decent low-end machines. Naturally a heavy duty Osters Classic 76 would be overkill but it is one of the best.
There is one Wahl my wife has recommended more than once, I am trying to remember its name.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, because I know some people here are in to "body grooming" - what would it look like to use clippers on one's chest for instance. Basically trimmin the hair to a shorter length. Would it just look ridiculous, like "wow, that guy trims his chest hair," or what? Is body grooming an all or nothing kind of thing - either leave it long or shave it completely?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Just out of curiosity, because I know some people here are in to "body grooming" - what would it look like to use clippers on one's chest for instance. Basically trimmin the hair to a shorter length. Would it just look ridiculous, like "wow, that guy trims his chest hair," or what? Is body grooming an all or nothing kind of thing - either leave it long or shave it completely?

Would depend on the length. Personally I would not do it, however: if the hair is long, you could cut it down a little bit. Problem is that the follicles may force the hair to sort of stand on end if you shorten it too much - think long stubble
crazy.gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can do minor trimming to thin things out, but beyond that, it is generally an all or nothing thing for the reasons skal noted. Whatever you do, don't shave your chest. It looks awful. Either wax (or get it permanently removed) or leave it as it is. Thankfully, being half Asian, I've never had to worry about this.

[edit]

skal, is there any chance you could check with your wife for what she'd recommend at the lower end? I'd really appreciate it.

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
LOL. Wahl (of all companies) makes some decent low-end machines. Naturally a heavy duty Osters Classic 76 would be overkill but it is one of the best.
There is one Wahl my wife has recommended more than once, I am trying to remember its name.

yeah, if you want to go cheap, get a wahl. if you want something that is professional level, get an oster.

i just bought a wahl, the "ethnic version", that's made for very low cuts.

you might also think about getting a nose hair clipper. the kind that has attachments that you can use for sideburns, eyebrows, etc. beats a pair of tweezers. ouch.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
You can do minor trimming to thin things out, but beyond that, it is generally an all or nothing thing for the reasons skal noted. Whatever you do, don't shave your chest. It looks awful. Either wax (or get it permanently removed) or leave it as it is. Thankfully, being half Asian, I've never had to worry about this.

[edit]

skal, is there any chance you could check with your wife for what she'd recommend at the lower end? I'd really appreciate it.

Sure, will let you know. I think I am suppossed to remember which one this is but I cannot for the life of me recall it.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having used them professionally, I would recommend Wahl,Andis, or Oster.

All three are good but I think Andis makes it difficult to get replacement attachment combs. Wahl's has standard sizes for their clipper's attachments. (Or is it the other way around??? Don't remember)

Finally, when I get a replacement for my current Wahls, I am going to get the cordless. The battery might not last as long but can't beat it for convenience of use.

I think shaving looks strange and clipping much more natural. More info than you need to know but... I am not a very hairy person but have a tuft of hair in one or two places (chest being one of them). I use a 2 or 3 attachment in these areas and it looks so much better. No one has ever commented or noticed and it looks completely natural, plus I feel better. Your lover may thank you for it also!
blush.gif

Englandmj7

Reaction score
This is a little scary.

Can you tell me how near I live to Target or that other store?
ha hah. Yes, come out of your house, turn left past your rose bush.....

but seriously, his avatar says he lives near Stanford.............

tongue.gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I got the Designer, and my fears were justified. I have absolutely no idea how to use this thing, and the included instructions were beyond useless. So, do I order the HomePro and return this, or is there somewhere I can learn? For such a simple haircut, this is certainly not what I had in mind.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Well, I got the Designer, and my fears were justified. I have absolutely no idea how to use this thing, and the included instructions were beyond useless. So, do I order the HomePro and return this, or is there somewhere I can learn? For such a simple haircut, this is certainly not what I had in mind.

Basically stick on the guard for the length you want. After every use put one, max two drops of the oil on the blade while brushing it clean with the little plastic brush.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads