• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good grammar book

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some recommendations on good English grammar books. I'm in law school now and realize that my formal writing really needs a tune up. So, I'm looking for something along the line of college or professional grammar. The more practical the book is, the better. So far I'm leaning toward The Gregg Reference Manual. Any thought?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
A few that I have are:

The Elements of Style, Strunk & White... the classic...

Better Letters and Rewrite Right, both by Jan Venolia... I don't know if these are still in print, but I've had them both for a long time and they still come in handy.

Also, Guide to Rapid Revision by Pearlman & Pearlman - again, don't know if this one is still in print.

EDIT - just looked on Amazon and you can find all of these... albeit in much newer, revised versions than the copies I have...

freakseam

Reaction score
It's not specific to Law studies, but The Chicago Manual Of Style is a standard reference.

Todd

Reaction score
I second "The Elements of Style" - also look to "Grammar Smart", Princeton Review.

Both are available in Paperback for not much money...

I found Grammar Smart to be a little friendlier, including such sections as "words we hate" and a "bad day in grammarland".

Tyto

Reaction score
+1 on Grammar Smart and Elements of Style. Chicago is more or less the bible for copy editors, but legal writing conflicts with it frequently--particularly with respect to abbreviations and references--so remember to stick with the Bluebook for non-grammatical conventions.

I also recommend Writing with Style, by John Trimble (very accessible and slightly more flexible than Strunk & White), J.J. Kilpatrick's The Writer's Art (just beautifully written), and Theodore Bernstein's The Careful Writer.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Strunk & White and some other "classic" style manuals. While they're excellent "style" manuals, they don't deal with professional or college level grammar, i.e. concise and accurate sentence and paragraph construction. So, I suppose I'm leaning more toward a grammar manual than a style manual. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freakseam
It's not specific to Law studies, but The Chicago Manual Of Style is a standard reference.

I read on Amazon that the 15th edition has a new chapter on English grammar usage. I think this is probably what I am looking for. As a supplement to this manual though, something more practical would be helpful as well.

SieurDeLaSalle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I read on Amazon that the 15th edition has a new chapter on English grammar usage. I think this is probably what I am looking for. As a supplement to this manual though, something more practical would be helpful as well.

"Watch "Dick" have some Fun..."

freakseam

Reaction score
A Brief Handbook of English (Hulon Willis & Enno Klammer) may fit the bill.

LapelQueen

Reaction score
Practical English Usage, Michael Swan, OUP .
My grammar bible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads