Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Good fitting grey suit for $300ish (so I can relax in it)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lint Licker, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Lint Licker

Lint Licker Member

Hey guys!

So I have a half canvassed suit that cost me just shy of $800 (including tailoring). I love it but I can't relax when I'm wearing it because for my budget, it's expensive and I want to look after it - I don't even sit back in chairs because I want to minimize wrinkles etc.

I'd like to get a grey suit because I think they look more rock n roll but I want to spend a lot less cash so I can mess around in it and not be stressed about it getting messed up. Any suit I purchase I will get tailored to ensure a nice snug waist, appropriate sleeve length etc as I'm an avid believer of the "cheap suit fitted > expensive suit with bad fit" mantra. Of course people with an eye for fashion can tell quality fabrics et al., but 99% of people will just see the color & fit.

So what are good options? I hear some forums recommending JAB but then others absolutely slamming it.

Two additional considerations:
    - I'm 6"1 / 180lbs but chunky legs so usually I need a small drop e.g. 5" or I need to be able to buy separates.
    - I live in NYC, so if you have recommended suits that I could actually try on here, that gets double points (and points mean prizes).

Thanks all!
    --Lint

2. Lint Licker

Lint Licker Member

Anybody? What about $400?

3. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

Go on Ebay and find one in your size. I got a pre-owned Oxxford grey suit off there and had it tailored. It cost me a total of around $300.

4. Lint Licker

Lint Licker Member

Thanks, man. Ideally looking for something I can try on. Having got a suit that fits me well, I know what looks good on my body and don't want to take the risk with online-only :/

Mysuit seems like a possible option but I can't find enough supporting info on them that doesn't seem like it's coming from shills.

5. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

Many times the suit is returnable, so you could try it on and return it if you did not like it. I found that once I knew my basic measurements, a tailor was easily able to correct anything.

I guess you'll have to decide if you want to deal with the extra hassle for a better quality suit, or if you'd rather get the best you can for $300 from a "standard" approach.

6. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Brooks Brothers, J. Press (on sale), etc. Try in store.