• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Deals on Lenses for Glasses in NYC

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have to disagree with Ed.

And I'm frankly surprised that more thought about quality of frames/glasses are missing here. Especially when so much attention is paid to the likes of suit, shoes...etc.

I have low opinions of LensCrafters & Pearles vision.

Cheap, fast, good. Pick two

I recognize the difference in frame quality, for me its not something I care about but in terms of lens quality, what is the difference between what you get at lenscrafters and elsewhere? My last non online glasses were from a boutique here in NYC which has a rep for high quality stuff, I could not tell a difference between the lenses on those and the stuff I used to get at lenscrafters. As a matter of fact, the lenscrafters lenses still look clear and the boutique ones are a bit cloudy/fuzzy.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

What is your contingency plan for the time when your one pair of frames is damaged?

Why not have at least two pairs of the same style (or exact same frames)?

Full disclosure: I myself have 10 pairs of frames, not including sunglasses. There are two additional pairs arriving any day also.

While I don't question one to have many different pairs of glasses, I personally just can't be bothered. I like these glasses. If these broke, I would buy another pair and be blind for a period. My whole life I have never lost, or damaged glasses so I feel that the probability of this happening to me within my lifestyle is very low.

So tell us about quality of lenses.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't personally consider paying $350 just for lenses a cheap move from a cheap establishment. I do consider it a value when the exact same lens would cost me $600 at an optician.

As for education, I've provided a link before. You can take some time to do some research yourself, or just ignore everything I've said.

Best of luck either way.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But the thing is, what is the difference between your establishment and lenscrafters?

I even tried to go to a non-descript place, and they were worse. Were going to charge me $35 for not buying the frames in the store. I walked out.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
BTW, from lee's link, these are the lenses Warby Parker claims to use:

Polycarbonate: A revolutionary material that delivers a lightweight, impact and scratch-resistant, thin lens for superior comfort with UV protection. Thinner than regular plastic lenses and great for active people - especially kids. Recommended prescription range for Polycarbonate Lenses

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

But the thing is, what is the difference between your establishment and lenscrafters?

I even tried to go to a non-descript place, and they were worse. Were going to charge me $35 for not buying the frames in the store. I walked out.

I am sure there is a difference as there is a difference between the cheaper and more expensive lenses on that site ( I see some "Carl Zeiss" lenses there). I'm not arguing that lenscrafters is going to be equivalent to the $300 Carl Zeiss transition lenses, I'm saying that I have not been able to tell the difference between the Warby Parker lenses, the lenscrafters or whatever they use at H.L Purdy which were the most expensive glasses that I've bought to date. If the lens is very important to you then I can see looking into these high end options, I've just never felt the need to.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am curious about the claims of the scratch resistant coatings.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
my wife got frames and lenses for about $100 from Classic Specs. Who knows, they might be able to fit new leses on yours for not much $$.

Owen Meany

Reaction score
I too am seriously suspect of the eyeglasses business model. Every year I get (3) new/updated scripts and glasses (a walking around pair, a "computer screen" pair and sunglasses) and every year my optician send them out to some mystery spot in the mid-west where it takes about (2) weeks to get back.....at a cost of $400 each for the lenses...if Lenscrafters can turn them around in about an hour - why (2) weeks? Why 400 clams?

I like getting new glass to change up my look and for the first time, I have (3) pairs that I can choose from on any given day....I just don't get why they the lenses are so expensive and take so long to turn around....

The glass frames are expensive because of one word: Luxoctica ---

I have not tried Warby Parker yet, but I might..

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I honestly think that if you have insurance they jack up the price to get you to pay more. Plus, the process for requesting insurance is very bizarre compared to regular health insurance. They like, open up a binder, or a call some telephone number. The whole process sucks.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I too am seriously suspect of the eyeglasses business model. Every year I get (3) new/updated scripts and glasses (a walking around pair, a "computer screen" pair and sunglasses) and every year my optician send them out to some mystery spot in the mid-west where it takes about (2) weeks to get back.....at a cost of $400 each for the lenses...if Lenscrafters can turn them around in about an hour - why (2) weeks? Why 400 clams?

I like getting new glass to change up my look and for the first time, I have (3) pairs that I can choose from on any given day....I just don't get why they the lenses are so expensive and take so long to turn around....

The glass frames are expensive because of one word: Luxoctica ---

I have not tried Warby Parker yet, but I might..

Funny you mention that because the Warby Parkers got shipped from the midwest. Vision insurance is silly. First time I went, I picked out the frames, they gave me an eye exam so I think I can wait/pick up the glasses right there. But yeah, they go through some binder, type in a ton of crap on the computer and then it's like "they'll be ready in 7-10 days". :confused:

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will give you an answer you are actually looking for.

I go to Manhattan Optical in China town.

While not the best location they are friendly, the prices are great the lenses are par with those I have bought anywhere else (including Oakley's). They prepare my lenses quickly and don't try to oversell you.

I recomend the Cruzal coating. It makes them much easier to clean, clearer and have never scratched my current pair. There are many different levels and I choose to go for the second highest (elissee or something of the sort) as I lead a very active lifestyle and drop my glasses often. You may find the lowest end coating to be sufficient. MH told me not to go for the highest level "sapphire" as it provides nothing more then a slightly blue reflection of incoming light rather then green.

All in all transitions + cuzal + poly carb lenses came to under $300. They also offer a good warranty and have repaired a previous pair beyond warranty at not charge for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads