• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good deal on Isaia suit

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NOOOO... Beward of the GianLuca Napoli line -- I had the displeasure of trying one on at Stonestreets the other day (guy tried to pass it off as an "Ees-eye-ee-ah"). The only word I can think of to describe it is "crap." (Well, I could use worse words, but I don't want to get banned by J.).

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NOOOO... Beward of the GianLuca Napoli line -- I had the displeasure of trying one on at Stonestreets the other day (guy tried to pass it off as an "Ees-eye-ee-ah").  The only word I can think of to describe it is "crap." (Well, I could use worse words, but I don't want to get banned by J.).
This hasn't been my experience at all when trying Isaia on. What, in particular, did you observe?

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GianLuca Napoli is a diffusion line, not to be confused with Isaia. Fused, machine made stuff. Decent (even good) fabrics but the construction quality is iffy.

It's not bad for what it is, but also way overpriced for what it is. I have a couple of their sport coats that I got very good deals on. I wouldn't buy more unless they were screamingly good bargains.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Retro, you hit the nail on the head -- overpriced for what it is.

Isaia is probably one of my three or four favorite off the rack suits -- they fit my body so well. I love the shoulder. Impeccable.

The Gianluca Napoli line is not only diffusion, but it doesn't seem to me to have any of the details that make Isaia so great. Shoulders are fairly well-padded, and are more bulbous and round than sloped and sharp. Collars do not hug the back of the neck, and there is not good waist suppression, probably as the result of the fusing, which makes good drape difficult to achieve.

In my opinion, even if the fabric is decent -- and it is -- a good fabric is always ruined with bad construction. For a retail of $1k, and a discount price of $400, Corneliani and Cantarelli are the way to go. On that score, why those Cantarelli suits offered by A. Harris on Ebay right now weren't snapped up the first week they were posted is beyond me.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GianLuca Napoli is a diffusion line, not to be confused with Isaia.  Fused, machine made stuff.  Decent (even good) fabrics but the construction quality is iffy.

It's not bad for what it is, but also way overpriced for what it is.  I have a couple of their sport coats that I got very good deals on.  I wouldn't buy more unless they were screamingly good bargains.
Now I understand, and I agree. My Isaia suit is the regular line, the real deal; my Isaia sportcoat, on the other hand, is this GianLuca whatever 100% cashmere, fused and overpriced, nice nonetheless, but too bad for the company's image.

CO123

Reaction score
Sierra carries both lines the full canvas Isaia and GianLuca Napoli.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Gianluca Napoli line is not only diffusion, but it doesn't seem to me to have any of the details that make Isaia so great. Shoulders are fairly well-padded, and are more bulbous and round than sloped and sharp.

Ugh, that's bad. That means they changed the only good thing about that line - early on they had a very soft, unpadded shoulder...

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Gianluca Napoli line is not only diffusion, but it doesn't seem to me to have any of the details that make Isaia so great. Â Shoulders are fairly well-padded, and are more bulbous and round than sloped and sharp.
Ugh, that's bad. That means they changed the only good thing about that line - early on they had a very soft, unpadded shoulder...
The Gianluca Napoli 2-button sportcoat I bought this season has a wonderful soft shoulder. Â It is probably one of those hit or miss things. Â Like Canali, I find the football uniform shoulder in some of their models, and the nice, soft shoulder in others. Â This variability is precisely why I do not order suits on-line.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
STP may have the older models of the GN line. The one I saw was the brand new model, and while I wouldn't call the shoulder "heavily padded," I wouldn't call it "light" by any stretch. It simply reminded me of any old American (Mexican) fused department store piece -- like, say, Lauren, Evan Picone, or Jones New York. No different really.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads