• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good deal on a Borelli suit (& others)?

scwtlover

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new suit to wear at my daughter's wedding in early January.While waiting to make an appointment with a particular salesperson at Brooks Brothers, I went to Filene's Basement for another look, and came back with several suits.

I saw four handsome Borellis. One did not fit; two already had cuffs. I bought a charcoal gray, three-button, side-vented Borelli. The FB tag says $2,499.99 compare at $6,980 & up; what appears to be a store price is $6,980. Today's price was 50% off the marked price, less another 20%, for a final price of c. $1,000 plus tax.

The style on the tag inside the jacket pocket is "NER-B60." The color is "05."

Also, should I be concerned that the sleeve buttons -- in working button holes -- already are attached?

For that matter, how concerned should I be about the two suits, which I did not buy, that already are cuffed? The prices should be the same.

The other suits home on approval are:

Zegna, dark gray in (what I think is called) bird's eye, three-button, made in Switzerland. The jacket tag says "marca Z" and "et cli ZC." The "tessuto" is 622300 D. The "Tpo" is R. I like it a great deal, my wife not so much. Store tag $2,395; FB tag $1,299.99. I paid c. $780 plus tax.

Canali, dark navy in ("") bird's eye, two-button. The jacket tag says "tessuto" 14008/31; "modello" AL 13220/30. Store tag $1,695; FB tag $899.99. I paid c. $540 plus tax.

Luciano Barbera, dark gray solid (just slightly less dark than the Borelli, but only if I hold them next to each other), three-button. I do not see an inside-the-jacket tag. The tag on the sleeve says cloth 29964/298; Type 1250*. The FB tag says $999.99, compare at $1,675.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds interessting. Pictures???

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
what sizes did they have and where did you go?
This right here should answer your question as to whether it was a good deal or not.

scwtlover

Reaction score
The suits I bought are 44 or 44S. Depending on the suit, I'm in between.

I bought them at the FB in Newton, Mass. I also saw some in smaller and larger sizes.

Since money is not no object (especially with the costs of a wedding), I'm not sure how this answers the question whether this is good value for the money, I can pick one (assuming my tailor approves), and check this off the (vast) wedding list; or, is it worth my while to look further.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scwtlover
The suits I bought are 44 or 44S. Depending on the suit, I'm in between.

I bought them at the FB in Newton, Mass. I also saw some in smaller and larger sizes.

Since money is not no object (especially with the costs of a wedding), I'm not sure how this answers the question whether this is good value for the money, I can pick one (assuming my tailor approves), and check this off the (vast) wedding list; or, is it worth my while to look further.

Originally Posted by needshoehelp
This right here should answer your question as to whether it was a good deal or not.

you know it.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you need the sleeves altered. it will be difficult with functional buttonholes.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the type of money you are throwing around, I would want the fit to be absolutely spot on, as close to perfect/bespoke/custom as possible.

People get all gah-gah over the likes of Borrelli, I think more often awed by the name only. Make sure the fit is good. Functional sleeves are very difficult to alter.

Siggy

Reaction score
The Luciano Barbera suits I've seen recently at Filenes were fused and I didn't like the cut either.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As strange as it might sound, one of my best fitting suits is a Target suit back from my Med School days... it freaking looks great, and fits my build well. Name is not everything.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own Borrelli suits.

The fit of Borrelli varies by model. Some are too tight or too short for me. If the fit of the Borrelli suit is good in the shoulders and you like the features, length, color, fabric, then at $1,000 it is a good value. Borrelli makes their jackets with the two top buttons working buttons and the other two not working so that the sleeve can be shortened and they just move the buttons further up the sleeve. If sleeves have all working buttons then it is taken in at the shoulder. That may cost about $100-$150 because for a good tailor that is 4-5 hours of work. You also want a very good tailor because the shoulder is handsewn and requires skill to replicate the work.

Why avoid the suits with cuffs? It is an easy alteration to shorten if they are long enough for you. They may have been ordered at Borrelli and never picked up.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surely for your daughter's wedding you should not be talking about RTW - especially at those prices - and should be getting a good bespoke suit made for you?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Surely for your daughter's wedding you should not be talking about RTW - especially at those prices - and should be getting a good bespoke suit made for you?

Tell us where you get bespoke for $1,000

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
$1K for a new Borrelli is a great deal - especially for a plain charcoal gray! Even though price is no object, a good deal is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

However, I would have greater concerns about finished buttonholes on the sleeve jacket than cuffs on the pants. The latter can be altered fairly easily, only presenting a problem if you need them longer and there lacks sufficient material (*unless a cotton suit, which holds creases almost indefinitely, and thus can only be shortened successfully or the prior hemline will invariably show).

But back to those finished buttonholes... these are potentially very problematic. If the sleeves fit, no problem. If they need to be shortened or lengthened by more than quarter inch or so, then you may have a big problem. Under no circumstances would I purchase a Borrelli suit (or for that matter, any suit) if I had to reset the sleeves at the shoulder. That's major surgery. If that's necessary, then forget it and look elsewhere.

I've purchased several suits - including two Borrellis - with finished buttonholes, all of which needed to have the sleeves shortened. Both Borrellis had a considerable amount of space between the first button and the cuff, and presented no problem whatsoever (yes, all four buttonholes were finished). But I knew exactly how much needed to be taken up and confirmed that this was do-able prior to purchasing. If there's enough leeway to take up or let down the sleeves without encroaching too far on the first buttonhole (at least 1" of fabric from the first buttonhole to the cuff at minimum, and preferably 1-1/4"), then go for it and enjoy the great deal!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads