• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good daily facial skin care routine for men?

Chris M

Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to ask a little bit of advice about facial skin care. What is a good daily facial skin care routine for men(23 years old), to get rid of pimples/acne?

Usually I have had a pretty healthy skin (maybe few pimples here and there, but not anything serious). Without using any facial skin care products at all.

But for a few months now, I have adapted a new food diet (which is actually more healthier than the previous one) and working out regularly, in order to gain more muscle mass.

With the new food diet/working out regularly, I have also been getting noticeably more pimples/acne on my face. Mostly on the forehead (I'm not wearing any hat, bandana or so on, also tying not to touch my face with dirty fingers).

So at first I started washing my face with a regular soap (which was a mistake), which made my skin pretty dry afterwards. The pharmacist recommended me a few micellar water cleansers:
Applying it with a cotton pad over entire face, two times a day. Should I use something more? I have seen some guys use the electrical Facial cleansing brush 2-3 times a week with some gel. Should I also?

Thank you in advance,
Chris M

SnakePlissken

Reaction score
Cut soda pop out of your diet as much as possible--if you're drinking it. Switch to sodas like Sprite or 7-Up if you can't quit. Avoid ice cream if you can. Eat yogurt and get plenty of water in your diet. Your face should see some clearing without any fancy soaps. I switched to shampoo to wash my face many years ago at the advice of my haircutter. It's milder than soap.

Reaction score
First, up the water intake. This is crucial for better skin, also to help replace the lost fluids with the increase in the workout sessions.

You might be using your toner a little too often, stripping away the necessary oils your skin naturally needs and produces.

I'd recommend CeraVe Renewing SA Cleanser. It's a quality cleanser that's not terribly expensive, but it has the salycilic acid to help with the pimples and hyaluronic acid to retain skin moisture.

After shower, cleansing, shaving, etc. follow up with a quality toner. Thayer's Witch Hazel has been around forever, and many people like it.

After toning, apply a good moisturizer with SPF if you are going out for the day, or a good night cream moisturizer before bed.

Try only using cleansers and toners once a day, as they can also strip away oils and make your face dry. For example, if you shower at night and use the cleanser and toner, don't use them again in the morning. Rather, since your face is already clean from the night before, splash your face in the morning with some cool water and apply the SPF.

Try this routine. I personally have been using it for awhile and also struggle with the occasional pimples. It has worked wonders.

RoseGardener

Reaction score
Anything one could use to remove or help lighten dark spots on face? Years of driving convertibles in the desert and aging are catching up on me, now quite a few facial dark spots. I knew one could laser them, are there other solutions?

Reaction score
Anything one could use to remove or help lighten dark spots on face? Years of driving convertibles in the desert and aging are catching up on me, now quite a few facial dark spots. I knew one could laser them, are there other solutions?

The most popular and probably least expensive home method is to use lemon juice. With a fresh lemon, squeeze some of the juice into a bowl. Dab a cotton ball or Q-Tip into the juice and apply to the dark spot areas. Let it dry and rinse it off. Complete this once a day for two weeks, and you should notice a significant reduction in the darkness of the spots. The vitamin C and citric acid provide this effect.

Other, more costlier options include serums with hydroquinone (they are usually called "Dark Spot Correcting"), microdermabrasion (at home or with a professional), or chemical peels (at home or with a professional).

The key to all of these is consistency. With the exception of the most intrusive laser procedure, these suggestions will all require multiple, consistent efforts.

Give the lemon method a shot first though and see where it leads. Then you can explore other options from there.

RoseGardener

Reaction score
Thanks Manology, starting with lemon it's. My grapefruit tree just harvested, I have over 50 large pink grapefruits in a box and more still on the tree, if only grapefruit can do the same as lemon lol.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Manology, starting with lemon it's. My grapefruit tree just harvested, I have over 50 large pink grapefruits in a box and more still on the tree, if only grapefruit can do the same as lemon lol.

Similar to the above posters suggestion but maybe less harsh, would be a Vitamin C serum like Skinceuticals C plus ferrulic acid. It's a little expensive but you can find sample bottles for sale on auction sites. I've used it with good results.

Chloe91

Reaction score
Hi there,

Have you tried applying natural honey to the facial skin?
I am a woman but I managed to eliminate the acne using raw honey - just apply 2-3 times a week just before bedtime and wash it in the morning, you'll notice the difference right away.
It takes longer to fade the acne scars tho (for me, it took almost 6 months) but was indeed effective.
I decided to post here because this honey mask appears to have the same beneficial effect on my boyfriend's skin

Hope I helped!

Kevin Peters 1

Reaction score
I think it really depends on the type of skin you have. For oily skin types, its important to cleanse and moisturize at least twice a day. By hydrating your skin, you will stop it from having the need to produce more oils which would stop the acne that you are getting here and there.

Abywat

Reaction score
I wanted to make a skin care routine for my boyfriend and you guys helped me, thanks!

rjc149

Reaction score
M/30's here. B'lieve I've got a good routine down.

I have oily skin. At the end of a summer's day I can scrape the grease off my face and saute onions with it. Needless to say I suffered badly from acne in my youth. My skin is also, lucky me, sensitive as well and reacts to irritants by producing more -- you guessed it -- oil.

I use a CeraVe hydrating cleanser bar for normal skin. It comes in a green box. It contains no harsh chemical exfoliants such as salicylic acid. It's nice and mild, and doesn't redden my skin. I use this morning and night.

In the morning, after washing my face in the shower, I will then manually exfoliate with a bamboo washcloth. It's very gentle and I'm very gentle when using it. No rubbing, just a wipe-down in one direction. That's it. Those little dead skin cells, you need to exfoliate them ***** off your face daily. This assists skin cell turnover.

Out of the shower, I dry off then slather my face with glycolic acid. Once that dries, I put on 30 SPF moisturizer. I'm currently halfway through a bottle of Cetaphil 30 SPF moisturizer for oily skin. It's got a purple pump top.

At night, I wash again with the CeraVe bar. Then, I take a pea-sized amount of Differin Gel 0.1% adapalene, and rub it on my face. This is a good retinoid and a powerful exfoliant which will pretty much negate any need for a cleanser with chemical exfoliants.

After the Differin, I rub about 4 pumps of CeraVe PM on my face, then go to bed for my 8 hours. Your skin care routine does nothing if you're not getting your 8. Also, I drink a lot of water and tea throughout the day, eat a lot of vegetables, only eat sugar and refined carbs on weekends, eat a lot of healthy fat from nuts and avocados, and moderate sodium and alcohol intake.

I am regularly mistaken for being in my 20's.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads