• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good constitution = no need in bespoke?

AE7

Reaction score
I got this idea that if you have a good body shape, right proportions, posture, slim limbs, flat belly etc. you actually do not actually need to have your suits made bespoke for you.

Correct suit models/fits off the rack will fit you quite well, and the difference between bespoke and non-bespoke will not be noticeable.

Now, would that lead to the conclusion that bespoke is designed to disguise any disadvantageous parts of a body is a different topic to discuss.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most off the rack suits are made for middle aged men. Hardly what most would call in good shape.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Most off the rack suits are made for middle aged men. Hardly what most would call in good shape.

This^

When I was younger and in good shape, off the rack looked terrible as I had a 12 inch drop (plus I didn't use a tailor... yikes). Now I'm deep into my 30's and a lazy bastard, OTR fits pretty well with alterations.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anuar
I got this idea that if you have a good body shape, right proportions, posture, slim limbs, flat belly etc. you actually do not actually need to have your suits made bespoke for you.

Correct suit models/fits off the rack will fit you quite well, and the difference between bespoke and non-bespoke will not be noticeable.

Now, would that lead to the conclusion that bespoke is designed to disguise any disadvantageous parts of a body is a different topic to discuss.

I'm a near perfect 44/54r and believe me there is nothing better than a bespoke suit cut to suit your body requirements...

Try it...

Wideknot

Reaction score
Doesn't matter how a good a shape you are in. If you can find RTW that fits as well as bespoke, has the features you would specifiy in bespoke, and is constructed with the same attention to quality and detail as bespoke in comparable materials to bespoke, buy it. And let us know where you found it.

JonasAberg

Reaction score
I suppose bespoke usually also means better materials and workmanship, + the option of getting little personal details added and the exact fabrics you want.
OTR and MTM is probably a better comparison.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
This^

When I was younger and in good shape, off the rack looked terrible as I had a 12 inch drop (plus I didn't use a tailor... yikes). Now I'm deep into my 30's and a lazy bastard, OTR fits pretty well with alterations.

I'm of the opinion that 12" may even be too big to make clothes look flattering; I'm sure it feels nice, but to get nice fitting clothes without looking like a cartoon superman, I think 6-8" drop is a nice sweet spot. You can go a little bigger with a shirt and tie than you can OTR high fashion obviously, but a nicely balanced frame of 6-8" drop might be like 38" chest, 32" waist. Once you get past 10" or more drop, you are out of the norm, as far as pattern grading goes. I don't think many standard sizings account for that level of fitness, because at that point you have breasts larger than a good number of women at that point.

For those slight of frame, it may be beneficial to wear OTR from Asian countries like Japan or Korea, where the suits are already patterned for slim builds, and plus, they're fairly cheap.
Paul Stuart, in Korea for example, is just a licensed name and I've been to the factory where they put together the suits for the domestic market, alongside other such names, like Pal Zileri, etc. They had a number of stock patterns and only assigned fabrics and the name tags to each, regardless if another company was using the same pattern at the same time. That's not how they do it elsewhere so much, but I'm sure something similar happens in Japan, so name brand is not arch in these kinds of situations, just fabric. You can pick through those here in Asia and find an aggressively cut suit for around 3 bills, in decent fabric. I could wear one right off the peg and it'd fit me perfectly, no alterations except a cuff on the trousers.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I don't think many standard sizings account for that level of fitness, because at that point you have breasts larger than a good number of women at that point.

I hope most men have bigger chests then the average women. Most women aren't even 34 chests.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
some men just like the process of having clothing made.
a Hobby or a personnal indulgence.

and of course choice of fabrics and details can be just as important as the fit.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
I hope most men have bigger chests then the average women. Most women aren't even 34 chests.

I think he was referring to the drop. Women generally have a bigger difference between their bust size and waist size in comparison to men.

BTW, what did you mean most women dont even have 34 chest ? Isnt the smallest bra size for women 32A or something like that ...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
I think he was referring to the drop. Women generally have a bigger difference between their bust size and waist size in comparison to men.

BTW, what did you mean most women dont even have 34 chest ? Isnt the smallest bra size for women 32A or something like that ...

Boobs have nothing to do with the number in bra sizes. The number is generally inches around the chest, but measured down further at about the underboob area. Men's chests are measured one inch below the pit. Bra sizes go below 32, I know my girlfriend is a 30.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anuar

Not so:

There is far more to bespoke that this simplistic analysis. If you are that perfect then one of the reasons for going bespoke is mitigated but not the pleasure of having suits to your requirements in detailing, style and minor details of fit remains overwelming.

Are you simply trying to justify something in your own mind rather than making a rationale comment?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is a good one, is that why it doesn't mention bespoke anywhere in it?

CHP_constitution1.jpg

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good constitution? Like, regular bowel movements?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del

A guy with a 10 inch drop say 40 chest 30 waist won't look that unusual. A woman with a 10 inch drop. 34 chest. 24 inch waist will stand out more. Guys are taller and over all bigger. So the drop number can be bigger and not seem that big.

In the old days before plastic changed everything a 36-24-36 was a serious bombshell.

Now if you mean the relative drop waist/chest then maybe

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads