• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good, cheap beach/nightlife vacation destinations for 20-somethings?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm wanting to go somewhere after this semester ends (end of April) for a week or so, and doing some research at the moment.

Basically, somewhere cheap with beach, sun, and a somewhat decent nightlife (clubbing); nothing fancy/exquisite required, nor does it have to be some exotic destination.

Florida, perhaps?
Does San Diego or Puerto Vallarta have much of a nightlife?

Oh, and this is departing from Vancouver.

Thanks

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
puerto vallarta is all about the nightlife. the beach is not white sand as in other parts of mexico, and the water is cold. if you want a tropical beach go further north or further south. you will find crystal clear warm water and white sand beaches in ixtapa or cozumel. cabo san lucas is probably a good bet on a budget.

mexico is less expensive as you get further away from winter, but if you wait too long, the rainy season starts and it gets uncomfortably hot.

also consider cuba, costa rica, and guatemala. i've heard very good things (especially about cuba.
mwink[1].gif
)

DeSica

Reaction score
Cuba is great (not as in powerful and wealthy). If you want the tourist experience, stay in a resort in Varadero. If you want something where you get to see more culture, stay in Havana, or just outside of it.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Naw, we're not looking to do much sightseeing, more like laying on the beach during the day, and going clubbing at night for a week.

It looks like Puerto Vallarta regularly has the cheaper Flight+Hotel packages at the moment.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Naw, we're not looking to do much sightseeing, more like laying on the beach during the day, and going clubbing at night for a week.

It looks like Puerto Vallarta regularly has the cheaper Flight+Hotel packages at the moment.

I think Acapulco wouldn't be a bad bet. Cabo isn't too bad for beach/nightlife although the temperatures are a bit more extreme than the Gulf Coast. Cancun would be the best choice for beach/nightlife but it might be expensive/far from Vancouver, and you might be knee deep in teenagers.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
sonick, made any decisions yet? We are also looking for a similar trip near the end of May.
Do any of the discount airlines fly to Puerto Vallarta or Cozumel? We are also considering a cruise or Bermuda. Any thoughts?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you had the money I'd say some options would be southern Italy, Spain or even my homeland - Agia Napa is sort of the unofficial UK Garage/trance (garridge?) summer capital.

fashion_newbie

Reaction score
Well, we also have a time constraint. I start my job in July so I have time but some friends start internships within a week of the end of the semester. So basically, we are looking at Mar 14-18. Around December or next summer when we all have jobs (i.e. money), we plan on taking a longer trip to Europe sometime. I have quite a bit of traveling in western Europe so I'd like to hit up the eastern countries.
tiger, anything futher? What does DR have to offer?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear Portugal is a big party place, not sure how expensive it has gotten since they are on the Euro now. I'd head to Mexico because you can probably get a nice place with nice weather for pretty cheap.

Dunno about Cuba unless you area tourist, check out this site:

http://www.netforcuba.org/InfoCuba-E...inPictures.htm

I thought Americans couldn't travel there. I guess you could fly from Canada or Mexico.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really know West Coast USA or Asian beaches except for a few in Thailand (wonderful, and near the Burmese border there's some amazing scuba diving), but here's what I know and like.

Durban, RSA. I'm biased because those are the beaches I visited as a child so they set my reference for beaches, but I don't think they come much better.

Split or some of the places around it in Croatia is probably my second favorite beach spot, after my old hometown

Morocco or Tunisia

Costa Rica, especially around Manuel Antonio; though Jaco is better if you're a surfer, the beach itself is kind of icky. The sand reminds me of Georgia red clay. From Vancouver, that would probably be the cheapest.

The Algarve region of Portugal

If you want to hook up with hot and loose German chicks, Palma Mallorca is also well worth considering. If that's not your primary goal, skip Mallorca.

Also, aren't there some great beaches around Vancouver itself?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, but unfortunately the plans for the post-exam tropical getaway did not come into fruition (although I WAS able to get away to a local ski resort for a few days with my girlfriend which I just got back from earlier today... although neither of us did much skiing
wink.gif
).

Good info though, definitely keep it in mind in the future, perhaps after the next Winter semester when it gets cold and depressing in Vancouver again.

Also, aren't there some great beaches around Vancouver itself?
Yup there are a few (English Bay, Kitsilano, Jericho), but the weather here is not cooperating with my beach-bumming as of yet and none of them are really tropical-like (with fine white sand and clear warm waters).

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Okay, so I'm wanting to go somewhere after this semester ends (end of April) for a week or so, and doing some research at the moment.

Basically, somewhere cheap with beach, sun, and a somewhat decent nightlife (clubbing); nothing fancy/exquisite required, nor does it have to be some exotic destination.

Florida, perhaps?
Does San Diego or Puerto Vallarta have much of a nightlife?

Oh, and this is departing from Vancouver.

Thanks

Key West?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads