• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good books on working-out principles

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the past few years I have tried to take my body more seriously. That included a diet to depart from my skinny self (went from 151 lbs to 200 in a few years, for 6"4) and, in the last 2-3 years, a semi-regular work-out at the gym.

I have picked up quite a lot from trainers and various friends, but I still would like a couple good books that explain the basic principles of proper working-out. Any suggestions?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you buy only one book the book to buy would be "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the tips so far. I am more interested in understanding the principles behind proper nutrition and proper exercising than in any specific presentation of exercices or program.

Starting Strength seems fine in that respect. Arnold's encyclopedia might a little too focused on the history of bodybuilding, i don't know.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
Thank you for the tips so far. I am more interested in understanding the principles behind proper nutrition and proper exercising than in any specific presentation of exercices or program.

Starting Strength seems fine in that respect. Arnold's encyclopedia might a little too focused on the history of bodybuilding, i don't know.

The good thing about Starting Strength is that it has detailed descriptions (I'm talking, 20-30 pages each) for the big exercises like squat, deadlift, military press, bench press, etc.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still not exactly sure what you're looking for, but I found the book Brawn by Stuart McRobert insightful when I began working out heavily in college. http://www.amazon.com/Brawn-Stuart-M.../dp/9963616089 He initially discusses the 3 main body types and pretty much advocates a 5x5 training program focusing on squats, deadlifts, and bench pressing with the main focus being on the "hardgainer." There are sections of motivational writing and a discussion of nutrition towards the end. I believe the underlying theme is the proper way to train to maximize results. If you are looking more for a scientific based explanation of diet and exercise, you can find excellent articles at bodybuilding forums such as T-nation.com and steroidology.com. I don't have a book recommendation off the top of my head.

SartorialSheepdog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

If you are looking more for a scientific based explanation of diet and exercise, you can find excellent articles at bodybuilding forums such as T-nation.com and steroidology.com. I don't have a book recommendation off the top of my head.

I have to second t-nation.com. While some people bash it, there are a variety of top-notch articles on bodybuilding and nutrition.

kever

Reaction score
Again, I'll say "the book of muscle" by Ian King and Lou Schuler. It describes the body, how it works, all of the lifts and most variations, touches on nutrition, and 1.5 years of workout programs. It's also written in very readable language. So far I've added about 20 LBS. this summer doing the advanced program, and all of my lifts are the most they've been ever (and I've been working out for about 6 years). I'm not sure if it's exactly what you are looking for, but it's worth checking out.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you really need a book? Just look stuff up on google. Or better yet, there are tons of weighlifting forums online.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Do you really need a book? Just look stuff up on google. Or better yet, there are tons of weighlifting forums online.

The problem with internet forums and the internet in general is that any jackass with a computer can put something on the internet and it's very difficult to seperate the good information from the bullshit.

coachvu

Reaction score
Coming on Strong by Franco Columbo (Schwarzenegger's lifting partner)
Arnold: the Education of a Bodybuilder by Arnold himself

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
The good thing about Starting Strength is that it has detailed descriptions (I'm talking, 20-30 pages each) for the big exercises like squat, deadlift, military press, bench press, etc.

sounds like exactly what i'm looking for, odoreater. definitely gonna get that book.

i would also suggest "power to the people!" by pavel tsatsouline. concise, very entertaining to read, and no BS. it mostly details russian, eastern european and old-school american strength-building methods--and the scientific basis behind them.

for bodyweight exercises for max strength (not muscle endurance), he has a book called "the naked warrior." it's very different from any bodyweight exercise book i've read (i.e. matt furey, scrapper, etc.). it focuses on how you can increase max strength through bodyweight exercises, so you're only doing about 5 reps of each exercise--but with no weights. great for when you don't have access to an olympic barbell and freeweights.

he also has books on russian kettlebells and flexibility.

one of my favorite all-around books is "getting stronger" by bill pearl. before there was arnold, there was bill pearl. he really knows his stuff. his book has A LOT of info on nutrition and has very detailed descriptions and illustrations. in fact, i like this book a little more than arnold's encyclopedia. btw, he is a VEGETARIAN, and has won a mr. universe on a completely ovo-lacto vegetarian diet--and this was back in the day. a real pioneer.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pavel is somewhat of a folk hero on internet message boards dedicated to bodybuilding and exercising.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
very difficult to seperate the good information from the bullshit.
good point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads