• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Bespoke-Plus-Orthopedic Shoes in Northeast US?

bigguyinct

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can help me find a shoe maker who both makes nice shoes and can accommodate some "special" needs? I have very big and wide feet and currently wear orthotic inserts for arch support and heel alignment. I have had a heck of a time finding anything pre-made that fits comfortably and accommodates the the inserts without squeaking.

I have embraced the idea of getting bespoke shoes and have started to research things. I noticed that the James Taylor and Son website seems to feature both great looking bespoke shoes and knowledge of orthopedic techniques... sounds perfect for my needs, except for that Atlantic Ocean in the way. I am in Connecticut, USA. Can anyone recommend a bespoke maker nearer to me who would be able to deal with the issues my ortics deal with (or with the orthotics themselves)?

Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, baby powder usually takes care of the squeaking.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know if Perry Ercolino has particular competence with orthotics, but he does wind through Connecticut occasionally and he is quite thorough in his measurement/fitting process. He's also a good guy to deal with.

FWIW, his shoes when executed well have even a bit more support than I've had from Cleverley (with which I am very happy), and a fair bit more than I've seen from several other bespoke makers.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ask josepidal how his bespoke medical clogs turned out.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vogel in nyc?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would also suggest Ercolino, based on extensive discussions I have had with him about this very issue. I would also suggest Janne-Erik Melkersson, based on personal experience, but I don't think he is traveling to the US any more. Paul Davies, the London Shoemaker, can also do some orthopedic corrections and he travels to the US regularly. You should certainly speak with him.

Any of the bespoke shoemakers will be able to accommodate your existing orthotics.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dopey touches on a good point, which is that pretty much all of the usual English suspects and a few Italian ones can meet you in NYC, if that's not too far out of your way. If Boston is easier, you can still see Cleverley, Lobb St. James, and Gaziano & Girling there.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Paul Davies, the London Shoemaker, can also do some orthopedic corrections and he travels to the US regularly.
He lives in the US now.

janne melkersson

Reaction score
bigguyinct
There is a maker in Granby, Connecticut, Julian (Bill) Niemczyk. He is mostly making cowboy boots so I am not sure if he takes shoe orders. If not ask him to make you a pair of lasts and I can, if you like make the shoes for you. I will need the lasts and the plaster cast of your feet. Or, I can guide you through a self-measuring form and we can take it from there.

Dopey,
Hopefully I will have the chance to make the trip to New York again but I am afraid I can not say when.

shoefan

Reaction score
You might also want to contact Rob Elferink at http://www.euroshoe-boston.com/ Rob is a trained orthopedic shoemaker, having completed a 5 year program in Europe and working here in the USA for quite a while. He only makes a few shoes each year, as he does a lot of consulting for the shoe industry, but it might be worth contacting him. Also, there is Dan Freeman in Middlebury, VT. I don't believe he has a web site but can be found on Anywho. ps I think Rob is in Europe right now, so he might not respond immediately.

bigguyinct

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the information. Right now the $2 answer - talc to stop my orthotics from squeaking - has saved the day, so big thanks to Hard2Fit for that tip. I will get shoes made one of these days, though, darn it!

bobg

Reaction score
If you get any positive referrals please pass them on to me. I live in Richmond, VA.
I have Alden Orthopedid CDL and PW Minor modified but they still do not fit and are not attractive

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads