• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Bespoke or MTM place in NYC?

lureynol

Reaction score
Hello all,

I found you guys through the incomparable google, while looking for reviews for Astor and Black.

I'm looking to add a few suits to my wardrobe, and as I'm rather large (6'2, 350) I think MTM or Bespoke is the way to go. I'm on a bit of a budget, say 800-1000 per suit. So... What are the best MTM and/or bespoke places in NYC? (I'm aware that at that price range I'll prob be getting more MTM and less bespoke.)

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mr. Ned is roughly in your price range and still gets a lot of love on the board.

billiebob

Reaction score
I saw a Brooks Bros. golden fleece MTM for a 6'5" dude in a 3 piece from start to finish for $1450 and it turned out just perfect. Honestly it was better than I expected but they did a great job.

lureynol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
I saw a Brooks Bros. golden fleece MTM for a 6'5" dude in a 3 piece from start to finish for $1450 and it turned out just perfect. Honestly it was better than I expected but they did a great job.

I have to admit I'm very tempted by Brooks. I know their stuff, and it's of good quality. Also they understand the size and shape of the American male.

plhoang

Reaction score
Mr Ned is good for that classic American cut. I had a positive experience, but perhaps not quite as stellar as the multiple rave reviews I read here might suggest. Overall, it was a good suit but I'm unsure as to whether or not I'll go back to him for another one.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Bespoke is beyond your price range. The MTM programs at Brooks, J. Press, Oxxford, and other stores are beyond your price range.

Mr. Ned should be within your price range.

Also, LS Mens Clothes on W. 45th St. It offers a number of MTM lines from various manufacturers, such as H. Freeman, Coppley, Southwick, and a local workshop. I have used them, and I can recommend them.

Good luck.

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman
Bespoke is beyond your price range. The MTM programs at Brooks, J. Press, Oxxford, and other stores are beyond your price range.

Mr. Ned should be within your price range.

Also, LS Mens Clothes on W. 45th St. It offers a number of MTM lines from various manufacturers, such as H. Freeman, Coppley, Southwick, and a local workshop. I have used them, and I can recommend them.

Good luck.

I'm also in the MTM market, looking to spend something around BB/Jpress's ORT price ($800-1100), but was fairly disappointed with LS when i visited last week....What's Mr Ned's contact?

Any other choices?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mr. Ned is:

Varham Mateosian
212 924 5042
137 Fifth Ave (at 20th Street)

I think they offer pretty good value for the money. Is it perfect? No. Is bespoke always perfect? No. The saving grace with Mr. Ned is the fittings. They do a couple, so there are opportunities to fix/improve fit as you progress with an order.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonsun
but was fairly disappointed with LS when i visited last week....

Why?

jasonsun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EuropeanInterloper Redux
I've only ever had great things to say about LS. I'd be really interested in this answer as well.

I was disappointed by the level of services that was provided and pretty much left there without going further, so i have no clue how the quality of the article of clothing would come out....

I was there last Thur, when i walked in there is one previous customer who's finishing up his MTM shirt...the owner/manager (whom's name skipped my mind) greeted me. I told him of my intention to order 2 suit and 1 balzer, and he gave me bunch of fabric selection to choose, which was fine. Except i was there for about an hour looking at the fabric BY MYSELF without being attended. Meanwhile he's on the phone and talking to people in the back......which at that point i was determined to leave, so i greeted him on my way out and left with a very disappointing experience.

I understand people have other business to attend and i don't expect the same level of customer service as when i walk into Saks or any departmental store....but leaving me out there to pick fabric without further being attended is a bit "uncommon" for my taste.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonsun
I was disappointed by the level of services that was provided and pretty much left there without going further, so i have no clue how the quality of the article of clothing would come out....

I was there last Thur, when i walked in there is one previous customer who's finishing up his MTM shirt...the owner/manager (whom's name skipped my mind) greeted me. I told him of my intention to order 2 suit and 1 balzer, and he gave me bunch of fabric selection to choose, which was fine. Except i was there for about an hour looking at the fabric BY MYSELF without being attended. Meanwhile he's on the phone and talking to people in the back......which at that point i was determined to leave, so i greeted him on my way out and left with a very disappointing experience.

I understand people have other business to attend and i don't expect the same level of customer service as when i walk into Saks or any departmental store....but leaving me out there to pick fabric without further being attended is a bit "uncommon" for my taste.

I guess, I'm different. I like to be left alone to look through tons of fabrics and then ask questions when I need to.

stamp0102

Reaction score
+1 on Mr. Ned's. Had the my first fitting there recently and was very very impressed. The jacket looked better than expected. Second fitting should be in 2 more weeks, followed by the last fitting/pick-up a few days later. Just about 4-5 weeks from start to finnish. Cost was $950 (including pick stitching and working button holes).

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stamp0102
+1 on Mr. Ned's. Had the my first fitting there recently and was very very impressed. The jacket looked better than expected. Second fitting should be in 2 more weeks, followed by the last fitting/pick-up a few days later. Just about 4-5 weeks from start to finnish. Cost was $950 (including pick stitching and working button holes).

What type of fabric?

The pick stiching and working button holes added $100 to the cost, correct?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael Andrews Bespoke on Clinton Steet is another option that I previously posted about. You can get a house fabric of theirs starting at $800 and it goes up from there. You can check out their pricing structure on their wesbite: www.michaelandrewsbespoke.com.

Good luck with your search!

Best,
David

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads