Good barber/hair place in Toronto

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by korce, May 22, 2008.

1. korce

korce Senior member

So, for years in my teens I always got my haircut at good ol topcuts by the same woman who did an ok job but at the ripe ol' age of 22 I figure it's time to step things up a bit.

My hair is getting pretty big (it's super thick) so I figure now would be the time to go somewhere new and let an expert do their job. I'm looking for a barber/stylist who will do a really good job with minimal guidance. I've had the same haircut forever now and want to switch things up, but don't know to what - so I want some good solid barber input!

Other than the above - the place should be preferably in downtown TO area, and a cut priced under $40 (is that too much to ask!?)

Thanks!

2. West24

West24 Senior member

3. TransparentCranium

TransparentCranium Senior member

Go to 50 and chris at Toni & Guy in yorkville is good.

4. korce

korce Senior member

Anybody have experience with Truefitt & Hill?

5. M8742

M8742 New Member

You can try Salon on Brimley, not sure about the address but they are at the NE corner of Brimley and Sheppard, on the Street level, right across TD Bank.

I had my hair done 2 weeks ago and I quite like the stylist there, excellent job.

You can call them for direction, 416-803-2882.

Good luck.

6. doink

doink Senior member

salon dew in yorkville.

Depending on who you get it might be a bit more than $40 though.

7. Hey Man

Hey Man Senior member

The best is Allegro Hair Design at Yonge and Eglinton. Ask for George and you will not be disappointed.

All the fancy places on Yorkville are so overrated and overpriced. People go there for status reasons as opposed to actually getting the best haircut. Oh I get my haircut at Toni and Guy and then go have lunch at Sassafraz with Bobby De Niro.

2361 YONGE ST , Toronto
    Phone: (416) 482-4185

Under 35 bucks. The best.

8. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

I know there is an exchange rate, but 40$ for a haircut?

I've never seen a barber charge more than 12$ for a haircut.

I assume for 40, a shave is included too no?

9. UserNameToronto

UserNameToronto Senior member

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

So, for years in my teens I always got my haircut at good ol topcuts by the same woman who did an ok job but at the ripe ol' age of 22 I figure it's time to step things up a bit.

Other than the above - the place should be preferably in downtown TO area, and a cut priced under $40 (is that too much to ask!?)

Thanks!

Korce, it's like you read my mind...same boat. Thanks for the Recomendations above, keep 'em coming if possible please.
    PS - I heard the Toni and Guy at Yorkville was good, but yeah it's overpriced for the amount of hair I've got to work with...
    I've had mixed results with the Marvel beauty school there... basically it's like $7-8 and you can ask for a new grad, so they've cut a few heads before. Cheap and decent, some of them are actually great if you can find one of those people who are going to be famous one day. I had one wicked cut and one crap one, so I buzzed it down afterwards, no harm done.
    http://www.marvelschools.com/new_page_5.htm

11. HermesGuy

HermesGuy Senior member

The quality of the work of a barber is not unlike that of a suit. Toni & Guy are on par with Brioni. Now, if you are looking for bespoke, go to Sassoon.

12. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Anybody have experience with Truefitt & Hill?

A few years ago, when I was in Toronto for a week, I visited T & H which was a block from my hotel. It was a great "old fashioned" experience....Italian barber, vigorous back massage (more of a beating), great shave, good hair cut. It was more expensive than I would normally spend, but worth it.

13. korce

korce Senior member

For those who are curious, I now go to Blood & Bandages Barber Shop at College near Dovercourt. It's a funky small place with only one barber - Roger. I've been twice now and he's done a great job both times, $20 tip in. It may be a little too hipster for some, but I like the place.

14. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

Does anyone know of anywhere else in the GTA closer to uptown? I want to go somehwere good where they will look at my head shape and hideous hair style and do something to it. I want a "make over" if you will....

15. Myko

Myko Member

check out Tony and Guy in Yorkville - ask for Vlad or Masoud