1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

good alcohol from canada?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by citoyen, Jan 11, 2010.

1. closetmess

closetmess Well-Known Member

i realize transporting beer isn't very cost-efficient but i couldn't let this thread slide by without mentioning unibroue, particularly trois pistoles and fin du monde. they also make one simply called terrible, which is anything but

[​IMG]

Yep, I mentioned Trois Pistoles earlier in the thread. It is g-g-g-g-reat.

2. Listi

Listi Well-Known Member

The single malt is Glen Breton, I'd definitely stay away from it for the price. For Ontario beers: Creemore -first micro that got it right and consistent enough to be good Neustadt - interesting beers, crazy brewer Mill Street - good organic and stock ales
    Creemore is not worth transporting from Canada, quality has definitely slipped a lot recently, and I only started drinking it like 3-4 years ago. Best macro, but still a macro. Neustadt 10W30 is really tasty imo, haven't had their other beers, although, I dunno if I'd say it is transport worthy. 10W30 is really good, but there are just as good beers in America to be had in similar styles (I'd drink Founders Dirty Bastard over this) Mill St. Organic and Mill St. Stock are not good. However, Mill St. Tankhouse is great, and their coffee porter is good as well (although, there are better coffee beers, ie: Founders Breakfast Stout.) Unibroue is GREAT, Trois Pistoles is a spectacular beer. I love Fin Du Monde as well, Maudite is a little odd, and I've only had fruit Ephemeres (Pomme and Cassis) and the Cassis was great, the Pomme, meh. If you bring back one beer from Canada, make it Trois Pistoles or Fin du Monde. Another great brewery is Dieu De Ciel, Quebec brewer. Their beer Peche Mortel is phenomenal, it's an imperial coffee stout clocking in at a heavy 9.5% and, name befitting, black as sin. They make tons of wild beers, but I've only had 2 of them sadly. Scotch Irish brewing is another interesting one, Corporal's Bitter Brown ale is a great brown ale that is heavily hopped to I believe over 80 IBU. I just picked up a few bottles of John By Imperial Stout, which I've heard good things about as well from the same brewery. And they come in stubbies, a true Canadian beer!

3. talesfromthepunchbow

talesfromthepunchbow New Member

Canadian Club- don draper drinks this

Don't waste your time on Crown Royal

Beer: anything by Unibroue (la fin du monde is my fave) or, if they have it.......Dieu Du Ciel beer, wins MANY awards by beer snobs, amazing stuff.

Ice wine if you like the stuff

If he can get any PEI gin, that's insane stuff too, but in Toronto, unlikely.

source: I have lived all over Canada

4. doink

doink Well-Known Member

Listi, I think our beer tastes are different, not wrong just different. Some of the beers you have listed I don't like, the pleasure of having choices outside of Blue and Ex.

I will agree that the taste of creemeore has changed over the past 17 yearyears, but it is still one of the GTA's better beers. I don't drink it as much as I used to due to available choices.

5. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

thanks for the recent additions, dtmt, doink and lefty.

Don't thank me yet. Screech is acquired taste and usually goes hand-in-hand with kissing a cod.

[​IMG]

And dancing.

[​IMG]

Be careful.

lefty

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

God, I had forgotten all about Screech. Memories better left buried.

7. tattersall

tattersall Well-Known Member

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeat...-a-Glance_2174
    It's like, "She has a pretty face..."

This has been my experience too - I've lived in BC for the past 15 years and have only been happy with local whites, and even then mostly just pinot gris and blanc.

Here is an interesting new product that's gotten some good reviews and press: Victoria Gin