• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

golf shirts that don't show sweat?

deaddog

Reaction score
I know this appears similar to the "wicking" thread below but I have a different and more direct question. I need to find golf shirts that don't SHOW patchy sweat marks even when you're sweating like crazy. I know its technologically possible because my old Nike Sphere Dry polo's in a kind of waffle weave did it perfectly. Even at 100 degrees with sweat gushing, the shirt somehow shows no sweat marks. Unfortunately, they changed the shirt this year (less waffley and more shiny/slick) and the new ones show the sweat - although they are still marketed as "wicking." Any input on whether any of the other brands don't show the sweat?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about UA stuff, I think it's supposed to suck sweat away from you, and I believe they make polos.

deaddog

Reaction score
Thanks - maybe UA will work. The problem is I need info from guys with first hand experience because I can't exactly buy a shirt, wear it and then try to return it on the grounds that I skanked it out by sweating a ton in it!! I suspect most stores wouldn't appreciate that.

DShareef

Reaction score
I ordered a few Pings from The Golf Warehouse. When I get them and wear them, I'll post the results.

tgfny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deaddog
I know this appears similar to the "wicking" thread below but I have a different and more direct question. I need to find golf shirts that don't SHOW patchy sweat marks even when you're sweating like crazy. I know its technologically possible because my old Nike Sphere Dry polo's in a kind of waffle weave did it perfectly. Even at 100 degrees with sweat gushing, the shirt somehow shows no sweat marks. Unfortunately, they changed the shirt this year (less waffley and more shiny/slick) and the new ones show the sweat - although they are still marketed as "wicking." Any input on whether any of the other brands don't show the sweat?

I make some that don't show through. All cotton though.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with wearing a classic polo shirt in cotton pique... I've always kept cool in them.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deaddog
Thanks - maybe UA will work. The problem is I need info from guys with first hand experience because I can't exactly buy a shirt, wear it and then try to return it on the grounds that I skanked it out by sweating a ton in it!! I suspect most stores wouldn't appreciate that.

Understood. If you don't find something else, I'd go on their website, or else go talk to someone who sells them and ask if they are designed to do that. If you try one and it doesn't work, at least you'll have a very nice running/tennis shirt for the days you aren't golfing, lol.

alebrady

Reaction score
my experience has always been if you sweat enough, its going to show. im not a profuse sweater but if the shirt hits a place on my body that is sweating heavily (i.e. chest area) its going to show...now some materials/shirts i think show less. i am not that surprised you found good success with the older version of the sphere, however, as the 'raised' nature of the material precludes much of the shirt from ever touching your skin.

to your question though, i would try some of the adidas climacool line. there are pretty much 100% polyester which seems to do a better job at minimizing sweat marks than cotton based materials. they have a shirt in particular (something like 'textured' polo or something) that seems to do a good job - perhaps because the 'texture' performs a 'raising' effect similar to (but not as much) as the older line nikes...their mocks are pretty good at it too, as well as some of the climacool 'pique' line of shirts. i think these shirts tend to work well also because the materials are so light (i.e. you sweat less in the first place) - this was my main complaint about the very early version of the sphere line...they werent that light wearing in the first place

deaddog

Reaction score
alebrady
Thanks for the thoughtful answer - you hit all my points.

16520Man

Reaction score
I have several Gap polos in their "nano" fabric. It, uh, keeps the sweat on the inside. On the upside, it doesn't show sweat. On the downside, it feels like you're wearing cellophane.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads