• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golf - how much do you play?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I got to play in a YMCA benefit tournament on Thursday and it reminded me how much I like to play golf.

I used to play quite a bit, but obviously with young kids, it is tough to find the time to get out. I suppose I need to get started soon with them if I'm going to raise the next Tiger!

The tourney was at the TPC of Scottsdale, where The Phoenix (FBR) Open is played.

Plus, the swag from this tournament was amazing.

Everyone who played got a pair of Nike Golf Shoes, a Nike shoe bag, a nice golf shirt, a leather gym/carry-on bag and a box of Nike One Platinum balls.

I also got to hang out at breakfast with former North Carolina/Bulls/Suns player Scott Williams who was two foursomes ahead of me. Very nice guy.

And to top it off - the cost was $2000 per foursome, but I got to play for free because I'm the Chair of the Board of one of the local Y's!

Of course, my game was not very good - because I hadn't played in nearly two-years. But with a Best Ball format, I made a few decent shots and we shot a respectable one-under 70. Of course, the winners were at 56 (but who knows how many mulligans they bought)
smile.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I used to play three times a week, but not any more. Now, I embarrass myself.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was 10, I won a piano competition and a golf tourney...clearly I made the wrong decision, monetarily.
musicboohoo[1].gif

koji

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The short answer - not nearly enough.

For me it varies wildly throughout the year. I find I play the most during the Fall. Having 2 year old and now another on the way it seems there is always something else to do besides play golf on the weekend. I try to get around that by playing at 6:30 am so that I can be one of the first foursomes out on the course and the round doesn't take any longer than 4 hrs. I am usually done with 18 holes and home before noon.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's a good year if I get to the course once a year, and to the range three times in said same year.

I had just taken up golf when I met the woman who would become my wife. She had played for years and was drifting away from the game. I played quite a bit (and was fairly proficient) until we got married and bought a house. Then the tee times went the way of the dodo.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Twice in my life. When you average about 45 minutes per hole, it's just a bit too time consuming . . .

pinchi22

Reaction score
I play enough to maintain equilibrium. By hitting the course half a dozen times a year, I´m keeping my mediocre 25 handicap - without getting any better. Any suggestions about jump starting this? A couple of books and a bit of driving range practice aren´t enough!

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to play a lot more (I was never very good - my scores hover right around 100, though I've shot in the 90's a few times). However, as with previous posters, life and, especially, children, have gotten in the way. My wife plays also, but I don't think we've played together in two years (one of us plays while the other watches the kids). The time commitment to play 18 holes is significant (especially on a public course).

I still like to play, but it becomes a very frustrating experience, because without practice, you generally stink. This summer I only got out about 4 times.

I've been thinking about taking up tennis again, given that the time commitment is much less and the exercise is much better. However, I don't know anyone near where I live who plays tennis on a regular basis. Also, tennis does not give you the same sort of social interaction that golf does.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started playing last spring, and sort of stopped over the summer. I enjoy being out on the course and what not, but I haven't really gotten good enough that it's not extremely frustrating.

Though, inshallah, I'll be going to St Andrews next year, so it would be a rather huge waste if I didn't become somewhat proficient.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I used to play three times a week, but not any more. Now, I embarrass myself.

Same here. I really liked to practice as well. I miss it.
No better place to be though -on a nice clear day.
And if any here who are into golf have never been to a pro tournament -go -its amazing how hard and seemingly effortlessly those guys hit the ball!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
And if any here who are into golf have never been to a pro tournament -go -its amazing how hard and seemingly effortlessly those guys hit the ball!

One of the more mystifying aspects of life, indeed. I played quite a bit with a friend who played on the varsity team at Utah. Very easy-going, slight build, ready smile, and could pound the ball. I used to put a good poke at the ball but I never outdrove him if he was paying attention.

With the irons - well, that was even worse. He played with older gear and two-piece balls (Top-Flite, no less) and he used to knock even those out of round (I didn't believe it until he showed me).

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear you, i went to practice with one of the guys on the varsity golf team. He would mess around and clear the giant netting at the end of the range 250 yards out. That was just one of many moments where I was to be excluded from a whole different level of playing -at least in terms of club head speed.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to get drunk and play putt-putt

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics