1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Golf Clothes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ampire, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Big A

Big A Senior member

Dress like Camillo Villegas - shows you've got a pair [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Senior member

Dress like Camillo Villegas - shows you've got a pair [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love this look (if you have the body for it) but the OP is not a golfer, and playing buisness golf. Even if he could pull off this look - his look wouldn't match his game and he would look kind of silly. Kind of like those guys with $3000 of new clubs and they can't break 100.

Some move advice for the OP.

Choose your golf ball wisely - it says allot about you. Aviod Top Flight - they have a rep as cheap crap and you'll look like you don't care about quality. In truth they have some decent balls now, and if you had some game, playing TF would make you look like someone "who doesn't care about labels." but as you have no game playing TF will make you look cheap. The other end of the spectrum is Titelest Pro V1 - too much ball for you and you will look silly playing this, besides there are many other less well known balls that are better/as good.

I would look at Bridgestone maybe the E6 a good mid point ball that more about quality then marketing or having a big name. It also a nice ball around the greens.

3. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

Choose your golf ball wisely - it says allot about you. Aviod Top Flight - they have a rep as cheap crap and you'll look like you don't care about quality. In truth they have some decent balls now, and if you had some game, playing TF would make you look like someone "who doesn't care about labels." but as you have no game playing TF will make you look cheap. The other end of the spectrum is Titelest Pro V1 - too much ball for you and you will look silly playing this, besides there are many other less well known balls that are better/as good.

I would look at Bridgestone maybe the E6 a good mid point ball that more about quality then marketing or having a big name. It also a nice ball around the greens.

QFT. Using Titleist Pro V1 (or any other over $40 per dozen balls) and shooting triple bogey will look pretty bad.

I like Callaway Big Bertha for everyday use; won't break a sweat when I lose them and pretty solid for my swing. Don't care too much about approach shot though as I can't control ball spin very well. On top of that most golf courses' greens are in pretty bad condition anyway.

4. bartil

bartil Well-Known Member

I don't personally play golf, but I saw "The Thomas Crown Affair" yesterday, with Steve McQueen in the roll as Mr. Crown. The way he dresses in this picture is a good example - I think - of how a man kan dress both elegant and sporty at the same time at the golfcourse. Lightgrey flannel- or tweedpants, brown golfshoes and a naturalcoloured cashmere crew-neck sweater.

5. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

I don't personally play golf, but I saw "The Thomas Crown Affair" yesterday, with Steve McQueen in the roll as Mr. Crown. The way he dresses in this picture is a good example - I think - of how a man kan dress both elegant and sporty at the same time at the golfcourse. Lightgrey flannel- or tweedpants, brown golfshoes and a naturalcoloured cashmere crew-neck sweater.

You are going to stand out more than the flag stick if you dress like that and die from heat and sweat. Besides, that looks old...

6. pharrow59

pharrow59 Senior member

i play golf on my college team. my recs:

definitely go conservative. there's nothing worse than seeing someone decked out in JL stuff shanking one off the first tee.

also, you don't need pro-v1's or other premium balls if you don't play regularly. go with titleist nxt or dt solo.

this is really simple--just find nice fitting polo and some flat front khakis. and skip the fj classics if you're not going to play regularly. dryjoys will do. however, i have seen a shift to more "sporty" looks for golf shoes--imo, these look terrible. footjoy is the way to go.

EDIT: on second thought, i'd really consider wearing shorts instead. at the course, the only people who wear pants are professionals, or people who think they are professionals. you might draw negative attention to yourself if you the only guy wearing pants.

7. nvclothing

nvclothing Well-Known Member

Ok, sounds like a good safe bet thanks.

For shoes, any tips? all I have right now are some black leather nikes I wear to bars, some running shoes, and formal shoes (allen edmonds and cole haan). Im fresh out of college so I have no real basics.

I am personally a fan of Adidas golf shoes. They are solidly made and less expensive than the high end foot joy models.

J Lindeberg makes some great golf apparel but depending on where you live it may be hard to find. Otherwise I think Nike and Adidas make great golf shirts.

8. bartil

bartil Well-Known Member

You are going to stand out more than the flag stick if you dress like that and die from heat and sweat. Besides, that looks old...

Haha, really? It's not that extreme, at least in my opinion! But I just want to "conservative it up" a little, especially when I see my countries J. Parnevik, for an example, wearing those dreadful JL-clothes. J.Lindeberg is by far the swedish brand I'm least proud of.

PS: Saw Caddyshack last week. A great, great movie! [​IMG]

9. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Senior member

i play golf on my college team. my recs:

definitely go conservative. there's nothing worse than seeing someone decked out in JL stuff shanking one off the first tee.

also, you don't need pro-v1's or other premium balls if you don't play regularly. go with titleist nxt or dt solo.

this is really simple--just find nice fitting polo and some flat front khakis. and skip the fj classics if you're not going to play regularly. dryjoys will do. however, i have seen a shift to more "sporty" looks for golf shoes--imo, these look terrible. footjoy is the way to go.

EDIT: on second thought, i'd really consider wearing shorts instead. at the course, the only people who wear pants are professionals, or people who think they are professionals. you might draw negative attention to yourself if you the only guy wearing pants.

Not really a bad point. If the OP gets anything from this thread I hope it is - "don't overdress for your game." If you can play good, you can show some more style, but if you are a hacker, stay conservative - this goes from your equipment/ball too. Nothing looks more silly then the guy, who is dressed like a pro, equipped like a pro and can't break 100. As the OP is just learning the game - he won't be breaking 100.

Also OP - make sure as part of your lessons you learn golf etiquette - it is even more important then learning how to swing a club, especially for business golf. Little things like where you shadow is, not walking on some one putting line, tending the flag and fixing divots is an important part of golf.

10. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

If you are looking for the conservative look, OP(which I think you should), you can get it here: Polo Ralph Lauren Golf Bobby Jones Brooks Brothers Country Club Cutter and Buck You'll be dressed well, but not trendy, and no matter what golf setting your in, you won't be out of place. As for golf balls, it all depends on your skill level and how much you are willing to pay. Assuming you are a beginner, you don't need Pro V1 and it will not benefit your game(maybe your ego), because your swing won't compress the ball. Stick to low compression balls(Titleist DT Solo, Maxfli Noodle, etc). You will actually hit them farther because you can compress them, and it won't hurt so much when you undoubtedly frequently lose them. Basic golf etiquette: Don't talk during someone swing, replace your divots, don't walk on someone else's line on the green, rake after using the traps, fix your divot on the green, and never, ever, give swing tips.

11. bk4

bk4 Active Member

Baddley wears Penguin now.

I also played college golf, and still play a lot of tournament golf. My advice is that if you are a new golfer to stay away from a $300 pair of classics. Golf is a funny game, where in my experience, if you are young and don't have the game to back it up, anything that makes you stand out is a bad thing. My two cents. I'd stick to DryJoys to be safe, but I am fan of the adidas Tour 360 in all white.

12. TheFusilliJerry

Baddley wears Penguin now. I also played college golf, and still play a lot of tournament golf. My advice is that if you are a new golfer to stay away from a $300 pair of classics. Golf is a funny game, where in my experience, if you are young and don't have the game to back it up, anything that makes you stand out is a bad thing. My two cents. I'd stick to DryJoys to be safe, but I am fan of the adidas Tour 360 in all white.
    that was my advice; I wouldn't reccomend it: partly because you don't want to be flashy if your just starting out your probably not that good and its not very good to be flashy and bad... and plus what if you decide you don't like golf? then what do you do with a $300 pair of golf shoes? The same exact design(rubber soled, but, who cares anyway? its golf) is available in Dryjoys for $129 at most shops.

13. BlueHorseShoe

BlueHorseShoe Senior member

14. TheFusilliJerry

You don't want to look like either cheap or ridiculous. The answer, as previously said, is the timeless dryjoys. You don't need anything more or less than something similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/FOOTJOY-DRYJOYS-...QQcmdZViewItem

exactly.. if your really just starting out and don't even want to pay that much, the contour line is perfectly fine for beginners. That was the first pair of golf shoes I had(saddle-styled) and they did the trick until... well.. I got better and more into golf

15. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I have a pair of the saddle-style DryJoys and they work just fine for the occasional golfer. I also have a pair of Nike Golf shoes that were a gift from a tournament I played in a few years ago, but to be honest, they're just not as comfortable as my old DryJoys so they've yet to see the course.

For clothing, like everyone says, go conservative and classic. Polo shirts and khakis won't stand out and won't make it look like you're trying too hard. If you're playing public courses, you can pretty much wear anything and will see everything from people in t-shirts, jeans and tennis shoes to people who think they are Tiger Woods. If you're playing private courses, most require collared shirts and some will not allow shorts, so call ahead and find out.

(A funny story, my dad and his partner, Jim, were playing in a state championship tournament for club players and it was at a CC in Scottsdale. Jim shows up in shorts and finds out they are not allowed. He and my dad go into the pro-shop where Jim buys a new pair of pants that cost him about $200. Unfortunately, because Jim is fairly short, the pants are way too long, so he takes a pair of scissors and just cuts them to the right length. Luckily, they won their flight and the state championship, but boy was his wife pissed when they got home for doing that to a $200 pair of pants.)

As for golf balls, I don't really have a preference. However, since the OP said he was a financial planner, I'd say get as many as you can from mutual fund and insurance wholesalers. I haven't been in the industry since 2001 and I'm still have several boxes of logoed balls I was given during my 6-years as a stockbroker.

16. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Are Lacoste polos acceptable?

17. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

Are Lacoste polos acceptable?

Of course.

I will try to take some pictures from some of my Jap magazines. They have a drastically different style than American golfing attire and is closer to the flashy Euro(trash) style.

18. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Good to hear...I tend to overthink these sort of things.

19. rogerclinton

rogerclinton New Member

It all depends on you,
    1.If you wanted to be like two people, I want to say a short trouser T shirt is good.
    2 If you want to feel comfortable and free you, I would say T shirt pants are all desirable
    3, if you would like to see the beautiful and then go read sleeveless tops and short skirts that

20. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    ^ How you getting along with your brother out of the WH?